Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran OTL, No Disk in Drive?

• Please log in to reply

NoobMel

NoobMel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My computer has been running slow with high cpu usage, so I downloaded OTL, the original wouldn't download so I tryed the next one on the list, it wouldn't download either, 3rd on the list started to download (OTL.com version 3.2.31.0) after it started download popup window flickered and then showed 2downloads, stopped one, kept downloading ver.3.2.31.0. After scan started I got There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1? I could only click continue! With insructions on reading report I noticed some lines are missing in report? I've only had inernet 2mths now, not sure what to do next. Please Help.
Windows 7 HP Presario CQ57 Notebook x64

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you are attempting to run OTL are you saying your system may be infected?
If so you have posted in the wrong forum for assistance with infections. If not then we can continue here since we do not use the OTL logs in this forum here.

Running slow is not really always because of a infection.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I may have posted in the wrong forum :blush: , my apology but I was runing OTL in case it was a virus that was causing my computer to run slow. I followed your instructions, hopefully properly. Not sure if it is relevent for my slow computer/high CPU usage but 24hrs ago in AVG/systemtools/processes there was 60 TCP iexplorer.exe connected but now there is only 23. I did run a lot of cleaners today though. Is it normal to have so many running? Thanks for replying. :notworthy:
I can't seem to upload file, not sure what Im doing wrong?

Edited by NoobMel, 03 January 2012 - 07:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I do not see any attached log as requested by my previous instructions.
Without seeing that log it is hard to tell what is running in the background you may not know is there.
I am not discounting the possibility of a hidden infection but from a Tech point of view this looks more like a lot of Autoruns in the background.
I can give you the instructions for starting a Malware topic but that would mean my assistance would have to stop till you finished with the Malware Techs. The decision is yours which direction you would like to pursue first and I will supply whatever assistance I can either way. :thumbsup:

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Not sure what im doing wrong cant seem to upload file! Maybe I've done scan wrong as file autoruns.arn is 2.19MB, I have only been computing for 2mths now even though I am a 60's child, I'm trying it in a zipped file this time. If this doesn't work I'll ?????? :smashcomp: Woohoo I think that worked. :prop: I think the spinning hat suits me!Attached File  AutoRuns (2).zip   114.79KB   148 downloads

Edited by NoobMel, 03 January 2012 - 08:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see why it is not attaching. You are not saving it as txt file but as the default arn file. Please go through the instructions again and attach the file please.

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you for that. :blush: Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   49.92KB   88 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "IgfxTray"
+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
This has hepled, thank you. My CPU usage is still always over 50% but I'll try finding solution in these pages. Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Edited by NoobMel, 03 January 2012 - 11:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 19 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry its taken so long for me to reply. I ended up deleting/uninstalling Rtk NGUI64.exe(Realtek HD Audio), as it was using 49-50% of my cpu. Then I downloaded a new audio file. My pc was still running slow so I had 2Gbs added. I was also having problems with my anti-virus so I've been emailing back and forth with that company but they couldn't find anything. I did a scan via eset tonight and it found and removed a few bugs from in my anti-virus recovery zip folder also an adware application. Not sure if all of it came from Rtk NGUI64.exe or not! Thank you for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system running now that the scans are done and the added memory?

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It seems to be running better since the eset scan earlier tonight, still slow on boot up though(aprox 3min). This is the first time running my pc in about a week so still testing it out. I've been connected to internet for several hrs now and only had to do one history erase, normally every 1/2 hr I would do one to try help speed things up. Thank you. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results