Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran OTL, No Disk in Drive?

• Please log in to reply

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did as you requested. It didn't make any difference on start up time with all boxes unchecked, there was only 11 boxes out of 20 checked to begin with, and 3 of those have delayed start on them. I think thats what the " means before C:/Program files? If I'm wrong please correct me. I didn't really go into detail about my problem with start up so I will now, once the screen has fully loaded I can access programs and features straight away BUT within approx 5-8sec every thing freezes for about 2min(except the mouse pointer). I usually go by the constant circling over the bars for internet connection, when that stops I'll start using my pc(laptop). If I click on anything before then nothing happens, but then it all bombards my screen when it starts working, opening the program as many times as I've clicked on it. Shut down is also slow now days.

Edited by NoobMel, 29 January 2012 - 04:43 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Does this possibly mean that my new laptop that is 4 mths old or the new 2Gbs I had added could be bad? The slowness that I describe started happing about 2 wks before I joined here. I thought it was ok after eset scan but it only lasted the 1st session on internet. Lots of weird things are now happening on my laptop, like lots of redirects in internet explorer, which I now have 2 of (one says 64bit), pages not opening properly and taking along time to do so, wireless internet dropping out frequently, some of my pdf books on desktop now have covers instead of abode symbol, desktop blinks alot when on internet, also today when I booted up the RtkNGUI64.exe was back on my system using 51% of my CPU but this time it contained -s on the end of it! Not to mention that my IP is very rarley listed in the current state I'm located in and my remote desktop function keeps being changed, I have to disconect it every day now and my email account also is having alot of errors and not sending. Oh and my update for my anti-virus today said the file was 4.7Mb but it down loaded 5.7Mb followed by my firewall being turned off, after which the Rtk thing started up again. I could keep going on but I think thats enough for now. If you believe all this is caused from bad RAM I will follow your every instruction? Just tried to spell check this doc and was told exceiption raised, can't access automation server, It worked fine in other sites yesterday?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off the redirects are bothering me as this could indicate a hidden infection.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here