Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow or dropped connection since moving

• Please log in to reply

oldertoot

oldertoot

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I live in a rural area and have a wireless Internet service where customers are provided with an antenna mounted on the house that draws a signal from a radio antenna mounted on a water tower nearby in the village. I have 768 /256 kbps download/upload. I have been getting decent service until recently. I have been experiencing connection speed slowdowns and drops since moving to a new location not far (5 blocks) from my old residence in town. The tech has been here once to check my connection and router and helped the situation for a day, then back to the same problem as before. The ISP tech now says that a massive download from Amazon.com is throttling my download bandwith. Is that feasible or is he giving me the runaround? Time to go to DSL or cable? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Try flushing the DNS cache "how to" below;

1.Press Windows+R to bring up the Run dialog box.
2.Type cmd and press ok.
3.In the command prompt that comes up enter ipconfig /flushdns and press return and your done.

Time to go to DSL or cable?

Certainly a lot faster and more stable.

oldtoot

oldtoot

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Seems to have worked for now. Thanks!!!! Happy new Year!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are welcome and a Happy new year to you :thumbsup: