Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WMP "cannot play wav or midi"

• Please log in to reply

jopa66

jopa66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows Media Player has somehow forgotten how to play wav or midi files. Doubleclicking either of these filetypes give an error "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the filetype or might not support the codec that used to compress the file."There's a "Close" and "Web Help" button which further informs me, "You've encountered error message C00D1199...". Following the advice given there at Microsoft is less than helpful.

I can easily play these files with RealPlayer or VLC so I don't think it's a driver issue and this was not a corruption right after installing the other players. WMP seems to work OK when playing music or AVI's. And there is no trouble hearing sounds (wav or midi) in Windows for various events. Have already uninstalled/reinstalled WMP to no avail.error.PNG

Using WMP 11 on Windows XP SP3.

Advertisements

Barbarian

Barbarian

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
:welcome: jopa66,

Take a look here about your problem: Windows Media Player Error Message Help .

Hope this article will help you! :)