Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Help

• Please log in to reply

Blondie7

Blondie7

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a windows 7 laptop and it's not wanting to start up.
It's been really slow for a while, but I didn't really think anything was wrong with it.
When I try to start it up regularly, it comes to this screen that says Windows has failed to restart. It gives me two options: Launch Start-up repair or start windows regularly, both freeze and eventually bring it back to the screen where you choose.
I also have tried safety mode, it doesn't work. All of the options freeze up and I have to start over.
Please Help!

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi,

I would suggest you to boot the computer into Safe Mode and check if you can boot, here are the steps:

1. Restart your computer if it is powered on.
2. Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.
3. Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.
4. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.
5. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.
6. You should see drivers loading, and then please wait.
7. You should then be at the Welcome Screen.
8. Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode

Once the system boots into Safe Mode, try restoring the system and check if it helps, here are the steps:
1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click next.
4. Click Finish.

You may visit the following KB Article link for reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

You can also try startup repair, here is the link:

http://windows.micro...ns-in-Windows-7

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Blondie7

Blondie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I try to go into safe mode, it loads the drivers.
Then for a few brief seconds it flashes a blue screen with white words that vanishes too fast for me to read.
Then it restarts itself and says Windows has failed to restart giving me the same two options listed above.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Blondie7

Blondie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to do that, but it won't respond when i press the F8 key

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should be in the same menu as where you click to go to Safe Mode

Blondie7

Blondie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I did that.
Now it says Windows has detected a problem and is shutting down.
It also has UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME if that helps any.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there a set of numbers called a stop code with it?
A unmountable boot volume is when the system cannot find a hard drive to boot to.

Blondie7

Blondie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It has ***STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80004A80CD0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

The first step is to check the hard drive to see if there is a issue there.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 20 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.