Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help troubleshooting a hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

This is the big one - my computer just died on me. I was playing an old game when it suddenly froze. The image was frozen on the screen, there seemed to be some BUS activity (the 'HD' light was flashing), but the computer did not respond to anything I tried. after I hit 'reset' the screen remained blank though the computer seemed to turn on - like there was no signal coming from the computer. The screen itself seems to work well - I get the Samsung logo when I turn it on, before it goes blank and into waiting mode.
No beeps are coming from the computer when I try turning it on.

I have a Gigabyte mobo & graphics card, and I'm guessing it's one of them. I will prolly be able to get a g. card to replace mine, to test if that's the problem. I'm posting here because I'm not sure my checklist is correct/full:

1) Open the box, disconnect all DVD drives, peripherals other than mouse & keyboard; examine parts for signs of damage.
2) Try replacing the G. card.

Not exactly sure what next...

Thanks,
Daniel.

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 02 January 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I had the same problem with a lcd a year ago and after trying a different monitor I found the lcd was shot. Do you have another monitor to try first?

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hey RS,

Good idea - that should have been first on the list.
Just tried a different, new & working monitor - it's not it.
I'm gonna open the box now, will post again in a bit. Also I might be able to borrow a good graphics card to test in my machine.

D.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
No findings. Nothing looks burnt or bloated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the next thing is when you turn the system on does the fan on the cpu and the fan in the PSU continue to turn or do they stop right away?

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
All the fans continue working, it's not the PSU.
There are no beeps during POST, assuming POST is being completed - not even the one standard beep that tells you everything is OK. This prolly means mobo, right?
If it's any help - my power switch broke a while ago, so I configured it (in CMOS) to start loading when I hit a key on the keyboard. This still works.

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 03 January 2012 - 02:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It doesn't sound like the mobo is the issue since everything still boots up. Is the video onboard or a add on card?
I would look at the video first as everything seems to be working except that. It could be a cpu issue but video is more the culprit I'm thinking.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
The computer turns on - the LED, the fans, but I didn't say it booted up.
I could try entering the password and see if it starts booting - I've set a psw for booting in CMOS.

EDIT: I will know it's booting up if I see the BUS light blinking, hear the HDs crunching away, don't expect to see anything on the screen.... honestly, I don't expect it to boot at all, but I'll try.

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 03 January 2012 - 08:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be the video but since you are getting not even the single post beep I am betting it is the motherboard then.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Yup. I'll try to find a box to test my g. card in anyway - to be sure. And the memory too, to be even surer. When my findings confirm my initial gut feeling, I'm thinking or replacing my holy duo of mobo-cpu with parts that are a little more advanced. Seems a waste to me to spend money on an identical replacement for my 5+ year old technology.

Thanks a lot for guiding me through it, mate. I'll let you know how it turns out.

D.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck and I look forward to knowing if we both were right.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Thanks.

Another question, if I may:

I've decided to go with AMD (mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3‎, RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz, Corsair), but I've got a hard time deciding which CPU line to go with: FX or Phenom. Prices are more or less the same (per core #), but I've read a lot of criticism on the FXs - like that they are as slow as they are cool, compared to the Phenoms. Whereas the Phenoms are older tech and possibly won't support 1600 MHz RAM.... Not sure I wanna buy a Phen and then have to upgrade it in a couple of years, but then again, if it's just better and faster.... would appreciate your advice on the matter.

(getting a good cooler separately seems to be a must, no matter which chip family I go with, and that's fine with me)

D.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I myself have a phenom Denali 965 3.4ghz 4 core and can run anything I have tried in the past 2 years.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Yeah, they are good, to the point I'm leaning towards getting an older tech for almost the same buck.
I'll do a lot more reading..... but, do you think going for a chip that was released 1.5-2 years ago (I want the 980 and am drooling over the 1100T) is a big no-no, in general? Getting it for 2 years then replacing it with a more advanced one for this socket?

Looks like this is what I'll do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Regardless of what you get remember the cpu will be out of date.
When I bought mine just 2 years ago it was top of the line for AMD and I7 was the big thing for Intel.
I would suggest getting a motherboard with the adaptability to it for awhile. I got the Asus motherboard that was the newest and they have 2 generations newer on it already.
If you were to get 2 - 5 years of use out of it based on your use without doing any upgrades at all then you are doing great. :thumbsup:
I myself short of replacing dying parts see no reason I would replace anything with mine.