Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help troubleshooting a hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I'll go with the GA-990FXA-UD3, and Phenom II x6 1100T. 2x4GB RAM, 1600 MHz (Corsair).
Will report : )

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 15 January 2012 - 07:18 AM.

Advertisements

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello again,

I had to add to the above a Seasonic M12II Bronze, modular (neat), 620W. My old PSU just couldn't pull it, though after 5 years it's still working OK, AFAIK.

All is working great. I will have to install a 64 bit system if I wanna enjoy the memory, though, and the sooner the better. One thing I can't figure out is why at POST, when you see your of hardware (memory, HDs) being listed on the screen as it's being tested/identified, my memory shows as 1333 MHz instead of 1600. On my sticks it says 1600 MHz, and in my mobo book it says it can support 1600 & 1866 MHz memory, and 2000 with overclocking. Strange.

D.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure the 1600 is normal or OCing the memory?

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

Sorry about the long delay in my response - had a lot on my hands....

I am positive the memory is 1600 without OCing. What I did was, after consulting the guy from the store (did it "under his supervision" on the phone, in case anything went wrong, so I don't lose warranty), to change the multiplier for the memory in CMOS from 6.6 to 8 (the highest available option). It remains a strange thing that when in 'Automatic' mode the multiplier was set incorrectly, though.

I won't describe in detail the morbid swiftness with which my el-cheapo UPS later filed, in the harsh electrical environment in which it was trying to survive. Bad wiring in the house cause frequent "flickering" and the occasional outage. Then there's the power company, with its own generous contribution to the problem. Between those two, you need a good UPS to even dare turn your computer on where I live (over-dramatic, I know, but only to illustrate the point).

So I got me an Ippon, 1500VA, Smart Power Pro. Now I feel safe : )

Next on the menu are a new (bigger) box and a good graphics card. The card I want just won't fit in my old one. That old box has a couple of nice features in it, but all in all, it was the worst part of my old machine - poor design, small, parts of it failed pretty quickly....

Out of the woods, I guess.
Thanks for all your help, man,
D.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear that and just a suggestion you might check with the motherboard manufacturer and see if there is a bios fix for that issue. It may be a well documented issue that they should have addressed.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
A BIOS upgrade could be useful. But if there seems to be no problem, why try and fix it?
BTW - I have never seen any revision number other than 1.0 on any motherboard in any computer in Israel, and I've seen more than 2 or 3. For instance, my mobo's model has revisions 1.1 & 1.2 as well, in addition to the 1.0 I've got. A sales-guy/tech in my mother's town (who'd been highly recommended to my mom) tried to sell me the tale that I can make a 1.0 into a 1.2 by upgrading the BIOS.... when I asked if I could choose the revision number of the part I was ordering. but in any case, whatever they might have fixed (or broken), I'll just have to make do with the raw, unedited masterpiece : )

Everything's running very smoothly. All I need is that GPU to turn it into a rocket : )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

A BIOS upgrade could be useful. But if there seems to be no problem, why try and fix it?

Agreed and again I am glad it is all working now correctly.
GPU depending on your slots might be upgraded.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

GPU depending on your sots might be upgraded.

You mean slots? Well, it's a new mobo.... PCIE_16, the lot of them, I think.

As for smoothness.... I'll be returning the UPS tomorrow, prolly. It's running pretty hot, about the same as a human being's bodily temperature, and its fan is never turning on. Used to, in the first couple of days.

Looks cheap compared to the same model that's a lot older, that my landlady owns. Plastic, not metal, a lot lighter, though mine is 1500VA and the old one is 1000.

Uch, the mighty globalization.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 23 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.