Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote desktop help please urgent

• Please log in to reply

garevans34

garevans34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I need help and really have to get this right 1st time...Regarding remote destop to 2 xp comps.

I have family overseas and require remote desktop to connect to their computer all the time. I have both the computers here with me at the moment and my concerns are that although can set up remote desktop here will this be enough for the connection to work overseas as they will be using a mobile dongle. I am unsure whether it will have a static I.P. address or not???

Is it possible to connect to the remote computer with the computer name alone, once have set myself up as user/admin, without having to enter i.p. address.

Any help to overcome this would be more than gratefully appreciated as my wife is totally illiterate and have only one chance and one chance only to get this right before posting computer to her.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can setup free accounts at FreeDNS, which will allow you to assign names to the computers, like xxxxx.mooo.com, then you would connect to http://xxxxx.mooo.com. The site would then redirect your request to the ip address currently defined for that computer.

To keep the ip address current, you run a program on each one that detects IP address changes and automatically updates FreeDNS. The programs are listed here: Dynamic DNS Clients. I use Direct Update.

I use this for my web server at home so my family can connect to it from anywhere. They don't need to know the IP address, they always refer to it by it's mooo.com name.

Note: For testing, you may have to use a Proxy surfing site like http://chopperpass.info, at least I do as my stupid router will not allow me to use the external IP address assigned by my ISP to connect to my web server.

garevans34

garevans34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

So gratefull for the reply...sort of understand everything but will this just let me connect automatically when computer overseas is connected to internet without my wife having to do anything??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you install the software I mentioned, like Direct Update, then when they connect to the internet and get an IP address, the program will update their FreeDNS account automatically, theyt should not have to do anything.

Will they be moving around a lot? If so I'm not sure how well it will work. May be fine, may be problems, I don't know.

garevans34

garevans34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help and adivce your a star!!

They will be on mobile internet and network is crap most times but the laptop will be in the house, I will give it a go but from past experience abit hit and miss on the network side but if it updates automatically then this will be a great help...We will have to see a least can set it up here ready to go.

Once again thanks very much for information!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome, good luck.