Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD - cannot play some videos

• Please log in to reply

luminix

luminix

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ AMD586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 2079698944 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2033221632

I have a simple tech external drive, 500G. I recently saved some WMP video clips, from the same web site, directly onto this external drive in ONE folder over the course of about 10 days. There are about 100 clips. The clips saved the first few days will open with no problem, but the clips saved the later few days get the following error:
"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored".
All other clips stored on this drive in any folder play with no problem. I also cannot copy or delete or rename any of the clips that won't open. I have VLC player and Media Classic Player, but neither will open the files that won't already open in WMP.

I have searched online for a solution, but have only found that maybe I need to change some sound settings in control panel, disabling enhancements, which I have not found as an option on my version of XP. I have also found information about security tabs and sharing, but have not changed anything yet. I cannot find any solution to this problem. Thanks so much.

Advertisements

luminix

luminix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
So, I've waited a week, with no response. Is anyone available to help me with this problem? Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Start by checking the integrity of the HDD itself http://www.tacktech....fm?ttid=287#ibm