Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remotely Access my Vista Machine via Mac OSX across the Country

• Please log in to reply

kcrow11

kcrow11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All,

Im in dire need of help here. I have found many articles and videos showing how to use Microsoft's RDC software on my Mac to access a Windows Vista machine but none include detailed instructions to get everything up and running flawlessly. All seem to assume I should know the left out steps.

Here's the scenario:
I want to use Microsoft's RDC software on my Macbook Pro to access a Windows Vista machine that is located in another state, so obviously it is on another network.

Some details:
I've had great success accessing my Vista machine when I am on the same network but I can not access it from another network even across the city. All ports for remote connections have been opened on the Airport Extreme Router and Vista machine.
When I open RDC it asks for the ip address of the computer I am connecting to - the ip address is 10.0.1.13 the macbook's is 10.0.1.11. But this type of connection only works when they are both connected to the same router. I want to use the mac from someone elses house or a hotel to access the Vista machine. My cable modem that supplies internet access to the house that the Vista machine is located at has an ip that looks like this 99.xxx.xxx.44 (xxx substituted for the actual numbers to protect my network). The router uses an ip address like this 10.0.1.1 and then uses DHCP to provide ip's however the Vista machine is static and will always have the ip 10.0.1.13. I have tried to connect putting this ip in RDC - 99.xxx.xxx.44/10.0.1.13 but that does not seem to find the modem then computer.

Theories:
My guess is somehow i need to be pointing RDC toward the modem's ip address - 99.xxx.xxx.44 and then on to the Vista machines ip address. Or it needs to go modem then router then vista machine. I have tried all but still can't figure this out. does anyone know what the correct information would be to input into RDC to point my Mac toward my Vista computer? The only options i get when i open RDC is an empty input field that states "Computer: ______________" it says to input computer name or ip in the empty field. Please help as I am Remote Access Illiterate and have little to no knowledge on this topic except for controlling my Vista machine from my mac or ipad from another room, when both are connected to the same network. This has always been easy but i can't figure out how to do it from separate networks.

Background:
I once used my ipad to connect to a work pc located at the office while out in the field, however these were easy to setup as the work pc connected directly to the internet using a Verizon Internet card and the ipad connected directly through Verizon internet, they were connected straight to the modem so the ip addresses for RDC were always the modem address, neither of them went through a router where they were given different ip's. I have never been able to figure out how to connect any type of computer or internet capable device to another when they are using different networks and routers.

I have contacted apple and microsoft in the past and have never received a response back from either, seems they are as perplexed as i am or just don't want to help me do this. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and am looking forward to some detailed responses with steps on how to solve this problem!

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here is a great free program to do what you need.
https://secure.logmein.com/

kcrow11

kcrow11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Rockmilk,

Thank you. I will definitely give it a try.

Everyone else,

Any other solutions or info is still welcome as I would like to know why I have not been able to figure this out with the current software I am using.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
kcrow11

Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Please see your other threads on this issue.
I will keep the siutation under review and if necessary we will arrange to move the replies here, to one of the other two forums where you posted the same thread.

Regards
Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
kcrow11

It is now some 17 days since you replied, indicating that you would try the suggestion made by rockmilk

Would you kindly post an update to the situation

babatinfo

babatinfo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Microsoft RDC software will work only on windows computers. In order to remotely access windows from MAC computers, you need to use remote support services such as gosupportnow.com, logmeinrescue.com etc. Alternatively, you may even want to consider on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB.