Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a rig

• Please log in to reply

Eszajer

Eszajer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, I want to build myself something halfway decent for about 1k and I want to make sure I can run most games on High or even Ultra settings.

Here is what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3raK

OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse is already taken care of.

I've heard a lot of good and bad regarding the 6950 graphics card and would also appreciate anyones thoughts and opinions regarding this and anything else on my list.

A friend of mine made this list for me because I'm still fairly new to this building a pc thing, and have been on consoles since forever, but I would like to know more opinions or pros and cons.

Thank you so much.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Eszajer and :welcome:

What about speakers? As far as your OS, understand only full "boxed" Retail licenses can be transferred to new computers. It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". If that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 8Gb of RAM.

If you are wondering about a specific product, enter the model number and the word "review" in your favorite search engine, then look for hardware review sites. Beware of sites that simply post what the maker's marketing team posted. You want real reviews. Also beware of user reviews at sites like Newegg. Happy users don't complain for one, and one or two bad reviews out of 1000s sold is nothing. I only pay attention to user reviews if many buyers complain about the exact same problem - indicating a trend.

Eszajer

Eszajer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi Eszajer and :welcome:

What about speakers? As far as your OS, understand only full "boxed" Retail licenses can be transferred to new computers. It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for another computer on a new computer. If the disk says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". If that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 8Gb of RAM.

If you are wondering about a specific product, enter the model number and the word "review" in your favorite search engine, then look for hardware review sites. Beware of sites that simply post what the maker's marketing team posted. You want real reviews. Also beware of user reviews at sites like Newegg. Happy users don't complain for one, and one or two bad reviews out of 1000s sold is nothing. I only pay attention to user reviews if many buyers complain about the exact same problem - indicating a trend.

Hello and thanks for the reply. I will be using my TV for the monitor (Sony Bravia XBR9 240hz). OS is being provided as a gift here soon which will be 64-bit. I WAS looking at user reviews on Newegg coincidentally, so Ill make sure to take your advice lol.

Are there any other components or wires or anything I need to get, or will this all be provided with the parts themselves?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Typically, the motherboard will come boxed with all the data cables you will need and the power supply will have (hopefully) all the power cables. One area that might be a problem will be mounting screws for the drives. Some times they come with a small packet of screws, some times they don't. If they don't, then hopefully the case will come with the necessary screws. If still no luck, visit your local computer repair shop or even Best Buy. They will have 1000s of screws laying around.

Eszajer

Eszajer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok sounds good, thanks for the tip. I look forward to putting this thing together and using this sites building guide as a reference. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my noobish questions!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Info.

A boxed retail CPU comes with the stock heat-sink and fan which is warranted to keep the CPU within the thermal specs. They are very good and do the job well.

If you install an after market cooler, you will void the warranty.
If you over-clock the CPU, you will void the warranty.
Doing either, is at your own risk.

You can get a little better performance from the supplied cooler by removing the supplied thermal pad and using a different TIM.

please read this tutorial, thanks to

Digerati

http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/