Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NexStar TX - External 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'm trying to access files from my dead T61P ThinkPad on my temporary Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop. I purchased the NexStar TX and connected my T61P's hard drive to it. However, it doesn't power up. Actually, it powered up once or twice after numerous times but my Toshiba laptop didn't recognize it. I was told that maybe I have to change something in my bios settings but I have no clue what to do. If someone can give any tips I'd appreciate greatly. Thank you.

Toshiba Satellite C655
Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It would probably be better to get a USB cable adapter for your drive, or an enclosure to put it in that you then attach via USB. Then you don't have to mess with the BIOS.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

It would probably be better to get a USB cable adapter for your drive, or an enclosure to put it in that you then attach via USB. Then you don't have to mess with the BIOS.

Isn't that what I already have? I had to put my hard drive into the NexStar enclosure and Im suppose to plug in both USB heads at the same time but I still dont get any power.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry. :blush: My mistake. Yes, the NexStar is an enclosure.

You should not have to change anything in your BIOS. Windows already knows how to communicate with the USB port. I would try the enclosure on another computer and see what happens there. If it works there, then you know the issue is with your notebook. If it fails on the 2nd computer, you know you have a problem with the enclosure.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Sorry. :blush: My mistake. Yes, the NexStar is an enclosure.

You should not have to change anything in your BIOS. Windows already knows how to communicate with the USB port. I would try the enclosure on another computer and see what happens there. If it works there, then you know the issue is with your notebook. If it fails on the 2nd computer, you know you have a problem with the enclosure.

I've tried it on my friend's PC but it didn't work either. It powered up once or twice but the PC didnt recognize it. Then it didnt power up at all. The enclosure is brand new so I'm hoping the problem doesnt lie with it. It wasn't very expensive so buying another wouldnt be such a big deal but i'd like to try to make it work with this one if I can. So there's nothing I need to alter at all in terms of the bios?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

So there's nothing I need to alter at all in terms of the bios?

No. And the fact it does not work on the second computer indicates the problem is with the enclosure (or drive within it). So if new, I would seek warranty support.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

So there's nothing I need to alter at all in terms of the bios?

No. And the fact it does not work on the second computer indicates the problem is with the enclosure (or drive within it). So if new, I would seek warranty support.

*Sigh* .. Thanks for the help, mate.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.