Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot download anything

• Please log in to reply

bsf5039

bsf5039

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Every time I try to download something it downloads and deletes itself. I can right click on it to see the where the file is being stored but when it done downloading it is not there anymore and it cannot open it.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
bsf5039

This is the third topic you have posted on GeekstoGo.

The first one when you joined us was in our Malware forum and you were helped by
Essexboy

The second one was here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

when you again asked for help in the malware forum. On that occasion Mailprog responded, with his first set of recommendations.
Although it is now sometime ago, you never replied, after your initial post.

It appears, in view of the situation you now have, pertinent to ask, before we proceed, if this is the same computer AND if so, are you sure the problem, the subject of the link above was ever solved.

Thank you

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
this is a different computer I have three computer in my household one is my brother is the one having the problem not my mind or my mother's computer. The reason I never relied pack was my mom's laptop which was the second topic I posted. I was follow the instruction what he told me to do but my mom took to someone who she knows that can solve this problem that she was having with her laptop and I forgot to rely back that someone else took care of it.

Also my brother computer runs fine it just that he cannot download anything

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for the response.
Please do remember to reply, especially in the Malware forum, where a great deal of work is involved in analysing your log, before the expert can even reply in the first place.
You cannot post on that thread now, as the topic has been closed. As you will have seen, when you have visited that topic.

DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF any further with that oversight and thank you for your co-operation in furture.

Now to the matter in hand,
1. please post the make and full model if branded.

2. The browser your brother is using eg Internet explorer or Firefox

3. The version of that browser, click on the Help Tab on the top bar and click About and it will tell you.

Also on Internet explorer
When you use Internet Explorer to download a file from the Internet, you are asked where you want to store the file. If you don't specify where you want the file to be stored, programs, documents, and webpages are saved in the Documents folder, and pictures are saved in the Pictures folder

In Firefox unless you have commissioned it from the default, they are saved in the downloads folder.

4. How much free space on the hard drive please and what is its capacity. Right click on it in My Computer and click properties

5.Are any Updates to XP downloaded and installed OR do they fail..

NOTE
I am signing off back about 1800hrs. that is UK time. It is now 0300hrs.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
1. He built the computer himself
2. Firefox
3. 8.0.0.4325
4. 682 GB
5. He told me that when he turn it off it did a windows update before it shutdown but I will try download it because on the toolbar there update for windows and I will try it to see what happens I will let you know.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The windows update work and when I click on to find my version of Firefox that update work so I have version 9 now

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please answer FOUR on my previous with BOTH amounts. you have only provided one of them.

and where are downloads being sent to in Firefox please.

In Firefox unless you have commissioned it from the default, they are saved in the downloads folder.

as you can alter Firefox downloads location
see please the download section on here

http://kb.mozillazin...or_saving_files

check your settings in Tools, Option and then on the General tab - downloads
and then please see this one
http://kb.mozillazin...ownload_Manager
and check that the next file you download is visible, both as it downloads and then in Downloads.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
4. 683GB 931GB

The files are being download to the download folder so the default folder. So I try to download something when I download the download manager comes up and the file that is being download cancel itself automatically it is still visible where I can click on retry then it starts to download the file. When the file is done I cannot open because that option is grayed out. While it was downloading I right click on it to open the containing folder to see if was visible in the download folder, it was visible when downloading but when it was done it was not there in the download folder anymore. The file is visible in the download manager for both parts where it shows up when it is downloading and when it done but the problem is that I can not open it because something is deleting what I download. What I download was just a game demo just to see if I download something and be able to open it which I cannot.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See the link I sent and change the download location please, as well as checking through the other suggestions.
The posting of the link saves me pages of typing

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I change the download path two different times it did not work and also tried a couple of them a still did not fix my problem. Can it be some kind of malware or virus that causing this problem because I have started notice that while on my brother computer that his computer is very slow when it starts up like when it get to the desktop it takes awhile to load like that icons on the toolbar to show up and also the toolbar does freeze sometimes or goes black after I wake it up from the screen saver. What happen is the toolbar freezes and also cannot click on start but I can move things around on the desktop. I know that I should have told you this head of time because maybe this the problem but I do not use my brother's computer to much so I did not notice them when he show what the problem was and I ask if he notice anything that was different like running slow and he said no. So that when I though it runs fine then and the only problem was the downloading issue but as I am using computer more to find how to solve this downloading issue and I also saw more problem like the computer running slow in start-up and sometimes the toolbar on the desktop freezes.

Sorry about that. That I did not notice this before when posting the problem.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. To where did you change it pplease YOU must specify a location other then downloads.
If you did and that did not work

Then do this please.

2. Have you done this

Crash when downloading
AND THEN THIS

• Go to the Run dialog by going to Start > Run
  • Type firefox -safe-mode
  • OR open Firefox click Help and then click Restart in Safe Mode.
  • when this below opens do NOT select anything simply click Continue in Safe Mode and then try a download
Posted Image

If the downloads now work, restart Firefox normal mode and try again.

If none of these fix the problem, then please

Open Internet Explorer and try downloads on there.. If those work, clearly it is a Firefox issue.
I am NOT qualfiied to advise or make suggestions regarding Malware, only certified Malware Advisors may do so on GeekstoGo, but until we have done the above and some more tests, there appear to be no reason at the moment to jump to that conclusion.

PLEASE try these exactly as worded and as laid out in the sequence suggested.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think the computer is not letting exe file extension to be download because a security issue comes up when I download through Internet Explorer when I try to download it says that your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded. I try to download rar file extension it downloaded and work fine with both.

I try all of what you said to do and did not fix the problem. I think the problem is the security settings where changed somehow which probably is the reason I am not able to download the file extension exe

These are what I changed the file path to store the download file from Firefox manager

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents

Desktop

It currently downloading to
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See my post 11.
Click to check the box RESET all user preferences to Firefox defaults and click Exit.

Go to IE open tools, click on Internet Options, click Security tab, on the four zones show click to highlight INTERNET - it will default to that when you open that window.
Now look at the lower half of the window what is the security level. If the default level button is available click that please and then click apply and ok as required.

Having done that, check again please.
See if you can download this

http://download.cnet...j=dl&tag=button

ON IE when you go to that site and click Download - Auslogics disk defrag - please ensure that is what you are downloading, not one of the offerings elsewhere on the page.
WATCH the top of the IE screen for the yellow bar - asking for permission to download the file.
That download is an exe file.

You do not have to actually use that program, althoug it is an excellent defrag program,. I just wish to know if it will download and then install.

Please report progress.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yea the yellow bar came down I click on it to download the file and still getting that secuirty alert message stated that the secuirty setting on your computer does not let this file to download. I did everything you ask me to do and still having the same problem

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which anti-virus are you using please and which firewall