Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot due to BSoD [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RedTrinity

RedTrinity

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

I stumbled across this forum whilst trying to seek online help with the major problem I am having with my Acer Aspire laptop at the moment. I came across this topic which described almost identical symptoms and errors to what my laptop is experiencing, however I found that the solution at the end (the registry entry zip) did not work for me, which is why I have decided to sign up and start my own topic about it.

Ok, so this is what happens.... the day prior to when all of this started happening, I was having some issues with the laptop - virus/malware related. I also was trying to install AdAware, unsuccessfully - it was coming up with some permission issue and kept automatically uninstalling itself (no idea if its related or not).

Now, when I turn on the laptop, it boots, and reaches the "welcome" screen of Vista. But then it crashes just before (or *just* after) it reaches the desktop, I get a BSoD (IRQL_not_less_or_equal) it automatically reboots. This happens every time it tries to boot up in normal mode. The laptop WILL boot in safe mode, however for some strange reason, the keyboard and touchpad are completely unresponsive during this mode. I have to borrow the mouse from my husband's desktop in order to be able to navigate around on it.

I have tried quite a few things to try and resolve the problem: Memtests (all of which passed 100%), Windows back-up/recovery mode (only one state to fall back to, and it did nothing), scans, registry repairs, driver scans... also downloaded and tried the Windows Vista repair disk, to no avail.

I'm truly at wit's end, please help :( Your assistance will be my last resort before I take my laptop to be professionally fixed - something I can't really afford to do at the moment.

Cheers,

Nikki.

Advertisements

RedTrinity

RedTrinity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have attached copy of OTL scan results log.

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   100.86KB   168 downloads

Edited by RedTrinity, 08 January 2012 - 12:51 AM.

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

sorry for the delay. Please let me know if you still need help and we will see what we can do.

Pelase try running a scan with gmer in safe mode:
Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.