Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive unallocated and not initialized

• Please log in to reply

swat7334

swat7334

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I've been using a Buffalo HD-PCU2 external hard drive for a while now.
Just yesterday after booting my laptop up the hard drive was no longer available as a drive under 'My Computer'.

The device is still listed in Device Manager, but in Disk Management it is listed as Unallocated and Not Intizialized.

When I go to initialize it, it comes up with 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I'm running windows 7 64 bit.

Any help either fixing this or getting my data off the device would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried various windows data recovery soft ware to no avail.

Thanks

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello There, That sounds more like a damaged file system or dying drive.

Recover all you can, possibly with the help of PCI File Recovery. Then, run chkdsk on that drive, keeping in mind that the attempted repair may actually cause more damage to the file system. But at this point, I don't see too many alternatives since the drive may be on its way out.

After it is cleared out, also try chkdsk /r to see if it will complete and if there are surface defects in the drive.