Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp won't load

• Please log in to reply

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Took the computer to the shop to see what going on he's going to have a look as it won't do any thing . But freeze

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please post here what they find, thanks.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Got my computer back it was a registry virus avg wasn't picking it up and it's the paid version was told to Get avast instead of avg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: glad it's fixed.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thank you for trying . Can I run 2 anti viruses on my pc . If I disable one when I want to use it

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If only one is running then that should be okay, but why do you want to do this?

What AV programs do you want to run?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus and Malware Bytes Anti Malware Pro for anti-spyware. Their focus is different so they coexist well.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I have. Avg paid version. I was told that avg is no good and to get avast . It's a better virus program avg wasn't picking any thing up and it's always updated

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
AVG is a good anti-virus program, so is Avast and so is Microsoft Security Essentials. None of them will give you complete protection. That's why I use Malware Bytes. It covers things that anti-virus software doesn't.

I've not had a malware infection in more than 10 years but I'm very careful what web sites I visit (Malware Bytes is good protection here), what links I click on, what E-mail I open, what pictures I view and I never use any kind of P2P software, like Napster, Limewire, Bearshare. Free music is not worth the risk so I buy the music I want. Ditto for movies and books.

Your best defense is to have a good image backup of your computer that you update regularly. I have a 3rd hard drive (1.5TB) that I use for data storage and image backups. I use Acronis True Image for my backups which is not free. There are free alternatives but they are not as good in my opinion, like Macrium Reflect Free and DriveImage XML (I've used both and they work well). Then is something goes wrong, recovery is 20-30 minutes away.

I also keep my important data backed up via Carbonite to network storage. This is for pictures, document, music, etc that I don't want to lose as much of it is irreplaceable.

Cindy Pryt

Cindy Pryt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Use iTunes for my music . I'll get malware bytes tomorrow for my laptop and pc and see what happens. I have a external hd 1 tb I back up to that :)