Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to repartition Raid 0 setup

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I have a Sony computer running Media Center Edition and it works extremely well. Live and recorded TV are great, remote works, all the bells and whistles.

It has two 350GB 7200RPM SATA drives in a hardware RAID 0 (Intel) setup, single partition.

I was wondering what the steps would be to repartition so I can create a D: drive with 100GB or so. Do I need to break up the raid to do this or can I do it via Partition Magic or GPartD? For now I've installed a 3rd 80GB SATA which will do what I need but was wondering how you would go about repartition drives in a RAID 0 setup?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would try Gparted or whatever you're familiar with. If it can't detect the RAID array then you'll have to start from scratch.

In theory the steps should be the same as a single drive - all the RAID controller does is take many drives and present them to the rest of the computer as one drive. From there you can add partitions as necessary.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Once I have a good backup I'll give it a try. I looked at it with GPartEd and did not like what I saw so bailed out, but I'll take another look.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Like I said, whatever you're familiar with. Personally I would be interested in having a look, but the way I would resolve this situation would be to image - recreate RAID array with desired partitions - restore image to desired partition.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Did you have any luck?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I took the easy but long way out.

I finally figured out how to get into RAID setup and disabled it. I then restored the image of the recovery partition, set it as active and booted. That allowed me to restore the computer (without RAID) to it's factory state.

I see no difference in performance and I now have two 160GB drives. I use the 2nd one for backup.

Everything works great now.