Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

13 Years Old

• Please log in to reply

Anbo

Anbo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, I'm new to this site. It's cool. Yeah.

Anyways----

I'm only 13 years old and I have shown extreme interest in computers, the internet, and networking. I have researched alot of networking lately (thanks to webopedia.com and Windows XP's help and support center) and I like... totally understand it all and know most of it.

Now, my question is, is it normal for a 13 year old to completely understand this all and know all of this stuff? I mean, I don't know any kids my age that can tell you the PPPoE means Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet or that there are 7 players in the OSI networking framework. So, Is this normal, or do I have something big going here.

You all can quiz me if you like too, just for proof.

Thanks,

Anbo

Advertisements

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Your funny, ill give you that.

If really your 13, and understand the concept behing tcp/ip, then congrats. :tazz:

But your question is a little weird, "So, Is this normal, or do I have something big going here"

Well its normal, since everyone has something there good at it was just finding what it was and for you it was networking. And if you have something big going on, maybe, since you understand so early and appanrently love it so much, you could study it at school get a degree and go as far as you want.

a little question, how did it start ? Like when did it start this whole curiosity about networking and all ?

Anbo

Anbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
it all started when I was 5 or 6. I was in kindergarten, and fell in love with AOL. haha. i went on to use AOL, then MSN, then cable internet.... all that crap. I started with my knowledge at age 12, with fixing computers (not like hardware. hardware is my new exploration area) and my networking interest started at about the end of age 12 till now. I got into networking when my family bought a wireless G router and i started screwing around with that. When screwing around with my computer or internet stuff, i found terms that i didnt understand so i went to places to research it. so i saw what like PPPoE meant (after helping my friend with his xbox live) and then moved from there. and that is now why i understand networking i guess. just from messing around.

gotaa go to gym. Bye!

3li

3li

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The best way to learn anything about computers is to, like you said "screw around" with them. Going to webopedia.com and learning a bunch of terms will help, but it won't be practical unless you know how to mess around with them.

Hopefully you can stick around here and help everyone else with their problems now.

Also, don't expect everyone here to get excited and compliment how good you are with computers unless you're really helping people with their problems.

Best of luck to you, keep it up.