Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

SATA Controller card not reading drives.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I received a new silicon 3124 PCI sata card host controller card and when I installed it on my system the drives will not initialize. I found that one of my drives was dead so I removed it. I am not sure if these cards are able to work with DVD drives but I connected a new LG Blu Ray drive to that card it also will not recognize. I have tried all sorts of drivers and firmware updates on the sata card but it won’t recognize it. On my MOBO I have two sata ports that I have two drives that I have spanned connected to them and I moved them to the sata card to see if I connected the LG drive to the MOBO I could find out if it’s the drive or the card. The drive worked fine when doing so. I then tried to get the two spanned drives to initialize I now have connected to the sata card and I am getting I/O failure errors. I have tried base and raid driver/bios configurations with all epically failing. I guess I am not sure if this configuration is even supported by that card so I hope someone can correct me if I just need to reconfigure those drive to simple drives or setup a RAID on the sata card with those two drives.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most PCI SATA cards cannot talk to SATA DVD drives, only hard drives, and most of the cheaper ones have no RAID support at all.
They're primarily designed for extra HDD connectivity, typically for data storage.