Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background on start up but no taskbar or icons

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi.
When i start up the pc i randomly get the background come on but no taskbar or icons. I know when this is going to happen because the time for loading is slightly longer.
If i open task manager (control/alt/delete) i can go to 'Users' and click 'Log off' then when i log back on everything is as it should be.
I am running windows XP SP3, amd phenom 9950 quad core processor 2.60 GHz, 4 gig RAM.
I 'think' but not exactly sure, this started after i stopped using zonealarm (paid for) and went to bitdefender with which i had a complete nightmare.
I got my money back for bitdefender and went back to Zonealarm. Been using Zonealarm for years and never had this problem before, i am wondering if there is something
not starting properly in zonealarm and whether i need to re-install it? Only thinking this because of the coincidental timing of the problem with the hassle with bitdefender and re-installing of Zonealarm and this start up problem. Any help will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

nnoa110

nnoa110

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Sking0,

Have you uninstalled BitDefender with their removal tool?
I ask this question because for most security programs, uninstalling from the Add/Remove Programs is not enough.

If you haven't used their uninstaller, then I suggest you to do so.

You can download the tool from here and make sure look at the instructions too.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I will try that and let you know. Thanks very much for the info. To be honest i can't remember how i uninstalled it but i will have a look.

(10 minutes later) Downloaded and ran as per instructions but it just kept going through the process then looping, let it loop a few times then gave up.
It ticked all the boxes then just went back to the beginning.

Edited by Sking0, 07 January 2012 - 07:19 AM.

nnoa110

nnoa110

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
You might want to try reinstalling Zone Alarm and see if the problem goes away.

Make sure you uninstall Zone Alarm, then reboot your pc before starting the re-installation process.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Since i ran the bitdefender uninstaller it hasn't happened (even if it was looping).
Will leave it for now and if i happens again i will reinstall Zonealarm.
Was just trying to avoid that so i didn't have to teach it all over again.
So far so good anyway. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

nnoa110

nnoa110

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
You're welcome! :happy: