Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 6530b fresh XP SP3 load now wireless not working

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I just reloaded my HP 6530B laptop with XP up to SP3. Initially had to tell it in Bios that the HD was IDE and not SATA so the XP disc would recognize it. Jumped that hurdle and loaded the chipset and network drivers via DVD. Now everything works but the wireless and I have hit the wall. I downloaded every wireless driver for this machine I found on the HP driver site and not working.

I ran an IPCONFIG and came up with Media Disconnected for the wireless card. I have 2 wireless routers in my office so I am sure that are open ports for the wireless card to see. Also I am connected via a LAN cable to my wired router and it works correctly but I need the wireless to work.

Edited by dmcbass, 05 January 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

For the IDE/SATA not being detected, you can load the SATA driver on bootup of the XP installation disc but I don't think you can on an OEM restoration disc. Plus you need a USB floppy drive to make it work haha. Either way, IDE works.

Do you know what model the wireless card is in the laptop? Looking up your model I can see two possible laptops, is it either the Compaq 6530B or the ProBook 6530B?

Cheers

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
The laptop is a Compaq 6530B. Product: SG470UC#ABA

The wireless card has in Intel sticker on it and these are the items:

FCC ID: PD9512ANMU This number googles to HP 8530 802.11A/B/G/N MOW WLAN BOARD
C/M 512ANMU
Wireless
Rev 2.03 SPS 480985-001
SPS: 480985-001 OH
MAC: 0026C55A1C90
TA: E32616-012

Hope you can give me some advice on this.
Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
OK Here I have found all the drivers for your laptop: http://h20000.www2.h...5&swEnvOID=1093

First up, have you installed the chipset drivers? This one first if you haven't: http://h20000.www2.h...Item=ob-67792-1

Then the Intel Pro/Wireless Driver here: http://h20000.www2.h...Item=ob-82978-1

How does that go?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Troy, I installed all the drivers you listed. I had installed them prior to beginning this thread but just the same I reinstalled them. Still Media State.....Media Disconnected. Here are screen shots of everything I could think to send you.

First is my IPCONFIG \all

C:\Documents and Settings\David>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-obq6ckt8i
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethern
et
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-D3-85-13-B3-1D

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-C6-5A-1C-90

C:\Documents and Settings\David>

My LAN cable was disconnected at this time so the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection is showing disconnected.

I hope these screen shots help you diagnose the issue.
Thanks, David

Attached Thumbnails

• Wireless Network Connection Properties.JPG
  • Network connections.JPG
  • McG Cisco WL properties.JPG
  • Intel WiFi link 5100 AGN properties.JPG
  • Device Manager.JPG
  • Choose wireless network.JPG
  • Advanced WL.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well the driver is installed in Device Manager. Can you not join a wireless network now?

Also there is another Unknown Device in the Device Manager, can you work through that page and install all the drivers please until it is installed correctly?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well as you see above, Media Disconnected for the wireless. I will work on the remaining device.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Troy,I have downloaded every driver I can find for the Intel® ICH9M LPC Interface Controller and none of them will make the device work.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well Media Disconnected just means it hasn't been joined to a wireless network that is in range. Unless for some reason it's actually not joining which would then be really weird.

When you installed Windows did you do so from a Windows XP disc? Or do you have the factory restore disc for it?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Windows XP Pro disk. I have loaded maybe 10 different PCs with this disc over the past 5 years so I know it works. I have 5 machines running in my office loaded from this disc.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah ok that's fine, so what I'm getting at is if you do have access to the original HP Restore discs for your laptop (obviously the XP version)? Because they would install XP as well as all the drivers for your machine.

Also you might want to hit up the Intel website and find drivers for the ICH9M chipset, there might be one there that does the trick.

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Troy, no I do not have the restore disk. This laptop originally had Win 7 on it but I reloaded it with XP Pro. I have loaded the Intel suggested drivers and the device still shows an error. But the biggest thing I need is the wireless piece.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The last time I had problems with a HP computer not installing all devices properly, I lodged a call with HP Support and they sent me out the proper restore discs free of charge. Perhaps give them a call or hit up the Active Chat online?

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I will try that next. Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, let us know how it goes for you.