Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP 6530b fresh XP SP3 load now wireless not working

• Please log in to reply

Guitar237

Guitar237

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I just went through this same situation and downloaded every driver I could find until suddenly it hit me: Is the Device Enabled in the BIOS?

Sure enough, both the on-board NIC and WLAN were "disabled". I couldn't believe it. Enabled and bingo. Networking back.

I should have known better when neither device even showed up in Device Manager. But, as we often do, we don't look at the obvious first. Hope this helps someone.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, that's a good point! Although if the device is disabled in the BIOS you wouldn't be able to see it as installed in the Device Manager...

Guitar237

Guitar237

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Exactly. Neither device was showing up, which I didn't bother to notice. Just kept installing drivers hoping they would start working. Didn't follow a normal troubleshooting process. My fault.

Of course, as soon as I enabled them, they both magically appeared in Device Manager. What a surprise. I should have known since the system wasn't even asking for drivers for these devices.

Sort of like trying to start your car by putting more and more gas in the tank and then finding out your engine is missing. Drivers are great as long as they have something to drive...

Thanks for all the help you provide. It is appreciated.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Extremely weird that anyone would disable them from the BIOS in the first place... good thinking to fix that one!