Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery of Excel file

• Please log in to reply

Gesius

Gesius

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Guys and Girls,

What a Fantastic forum you have here.

Right, here is my problem.

Had a rather last system crash a month or so ago, which ended with me loosing a bunch of files.

I somehow managed to retrieve most of the lost info, however, today I found out that I accidentally had deleted a friend of mines VERY important Excel file. Hence, I have spent the last four hours trying to retrieve it. I downloaded a bunch of Software from www.download.com. (Disk Investigator, Tune Up utilities, PC Insp. File recov, Recov. Manager), and nothing seems to work. It is not entirely true, as Recover My Files managed to locate the file, and I can see it is still complete. (I can see the five spreadsheets in the file and access the info.) The problem is just that I have to pay a bunch of money to be able to save it, and since I am just a poor student, I was hoping you guys could help me get it back. I would be most grateul, and be your devoid fan for life.

Hope to hear from you soon. Very Soon, as he desperately needs it today and I am running out of time.

Gesius

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.

Try this TOTAL UNINSTALL or FREEUNDELETE.

Freeundelete seems to have a server downtime at this moment but thats a great tool. You may recover your file but most of the time the recovery is about 60-80% corrupted.

UNDELETE SEARCHES

Edited by kool808, 02 June 2005 - 08:31 AM.

Gesius

Gesius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Kool and thanks for helping me out here.

OK. These programs may work. However, by making the basic scans I just found newly deleted files.

I have a feeling that they have been compressed into a .dll format. (Have no idea what that is exactly, but I recall that I found some media files in those formats. I lost those media files at exactly the same time I lost this one.) Is that possible?

Do you know of a program that can search specifically for one type of files? Like .xls etc. Or perhaps how do use Freeundelete in more thorough manner?

Gesius

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
the site for freeundelete is now ok, its a freeware for win xp office recovey items. It will search for all available files that is PROBABLE for recovery, then you have the options to filter the results, lets say you type in *.xls then it will display the available items.

Gesius

Gesius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the fast response.

Have now used FreeUndelete and have not been able to find anything. All the files I can see are very recently deleted. The file I am looking for was deleted approximately a month or a month and a half ago.

I have attached a screen dump for you. (Not sure, how well you can see it. It is from Recover My Files.) The file is definitely there, just a question of getting it out. Pretty difficult as this program Recover My Files has it listed as Recovered_Excel_20 and the path as C\Lost Files\.

Only facts I can tell you about it is that it is 140KB big, createion date and last modified. [bleep] it, wish I was stronger technically.

Any ideas ?

Attached Files

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
question - are you able to view the 5 pages?

if so, have you tried to copy and paste to a new xls file?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
to clarify previous post - referring to copy and paste of each spreadsheet into new spreadsheets of a new xls file

Gesius

Gesius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Kool,

Sorry for being away.

I can see them but the program is made, so that I can't copy paste anything. I can see them, but can't touch them.

Gesius

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
plan B:
this is very crude - if you can view each page, alt-print screen to save the data(copy to word, ppt).

plan C:
are you sure you can view the spreadsheet, but can't copy and paste?

Gesius

Gesius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately neither will work, as I can't see the full page in one go, only the first five lines, and secondly yes, I am 100 % sure. So, we are out of options, and I guess I'll have to pay for the retrieval... What a pity... Too expensive for me, but since it is my fault I guess I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks for your help anyway, Kool.

Bye.

Gesius

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I don't have any answers, but if you found a way to find the file, there must be a way to recover it without paying anyone. Why not wait awhile for another response before paying.