Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shell Hardware Detection keeps disabling itself.

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Hello!

So I've been having this problem with my Windows 7 for awhile now. Every time I restart or shut down, the Shell Hardware Detection will disable in the services section. I have to keep manually going to Services and starting it. And yes, I go to properties and always set the Startup Type as "Automatic." But it always changes to disabled after a restart. This is annoying because Shell hardware is the Autoplay option, and every time I go to import photos, no import box comes up so I have to go into Services to start it. Also when I put a movie in nothing comes up. Unless I go and start it.

I know this shouldn't be happening. So why does it keep shutting off? How can I keep it Started for good, even after a restart/shut down? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Id you look at the Properties for Shell Hardware Detection, are any of the dependent services not starting or set to disable?

RPC
DCOM
RPC
etc.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
RPC, or Remote Procedure Call is set to Automatic. But Remote Procedure Call Locator is disabled. Is this the same thing?

DCOM and RPC are both set to Automatic. Windows Image Acquisition is also set to automatic.

Edited by Xanster82, 05 January 2012 - 08:35 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Remote Procedure Call Locator should be set to manual so it can start if needed.

Shell Hardware Detection is what controls Auto-run processing. If it's disabled then you have no auto-run so inserting USB devices will not have any effect.

See info here: How do i disable AUTORUN windows 7

Maybe you have autoplay/autorun disabled so every time you boot Shell Hardware Detection gets disabled?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I have set Remote Procedure Call Locator to Manual now instead of disabled.

No I have Autoplay enabled. Every time I put in my SD card, no import pictures box comes up. So I go into services and Start Shell Hardware, and set it to Automatic. I do this every time my pc is restarted. Once it is started, I insert the SD card again and the Import Pictures box comes up.

Not really sure why it keeps disabling itself.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You checked the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer

for both NoDriveAutoRun and NoDriveTypeAutoRun keys?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I didn't do that but I checked in Control Panel under Autoplay and made sure it was checked.

I went into regedit and in that directory, I only have listed "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" I don't see any key "NoDriveAutoRun"

What do I do here?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you read the info at the link I gave you? One of the links there points to some Microsoft info which has the following in it:

; Value Meaning
; 0x1 or 0x80 Disables AutoRun on drives of unknown type
; 0x4 Disables AutoRun on removable drives
; 0x8 Disables AutoRun on fixed drives
; 0x10 Disables AutoRun on network drives
; 0x20 Disables AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
; 0x40 Disables AutoRun on RAM disks
; 0xFF Disables AutoRun on all kinds of drives

The existence of that key indicates to me that it's been messed with/disabled at some point. What is it's value now?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes I read but didn't know how to access the gpedit.msc... I have turned off the search feature in Windows 7 and only have the Run command. I tried to run it but got an error.

The value data for NoDriveTypeAutoRun is set to 91.

Edit:
I've included this image maybe you'll better understand from looking at it?

Link to image:
http://i215.photobuc...82/Untitled.jpg

Edited by Xanster82, 05 January 2012 - 11:14 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That appears to be the default value and matches my computer. I thought when I looked yesterday that key did not exist at all.

So that is not the problem, sorry. Seemed like a good possibility.

Summary - some possible values for 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun'

The table below summarizes the values for NoDriveTypeAutoRun that is mentioned in this article. These values can be used to enable or disable AutoRun for CD/DVD drives and USB flash drives. The values in the table are in hexadecimal:

Value Description
91 AutoRun is enabled for CD/DVD drives and USB flash drives
95 AutoRun is disabled for USB flash drives
B1 AutoRun is disabled for CD/DVD drives
B5 AutoRun is disabled for CD/DVD drives and USB flash drives

Does this happen if you correct it then reboot to Safe Mode rather than a normal boot? Perhaps you have a program that is starting at boot that is disabling it.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Sorry for the late reply...

I corrected it, and then restarted and booted into Safe Mode. Shell Hardware wasn't disabled, it was still set to Automatic. But then when I restarted again and booted normally, Shell Hardware still didn't disable. Now I am running Windows normally and Shell Hardware is enabled like it should be. It seems to disable at totally random times. I am sure after keeping the system on for awhile, and then restarted, Shell hardware would be disabled. I have no idea what is causing it to disable.

So I don't think it is any program I have that is causing it to disable. I have no idea what it can be.
Heh.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
DO you run any other malware/spyware scanners some times? Any tune-up programs? If so, maybe one of them does it.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
How would I be able to tell? On occasion I will run Malwarebytes and SUPERAnti Spyware.

Beside that I will also run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic. At least once a day.

If anything, I would suspect it was Registry Mechanic. But I've used this program lots before and had no problems. Even before Shell started to disable on me all the time.

Edited by Xanster82, 12 January 2012 - 03:05 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All I can suggest is to not use Registry Mechanic for a bit and see if the problem goes away. As for CCleaner, are you only using it to remove temp and accumulated junk files? If you are using any of it's others tools then refrain from using it for a bit as well.

I don't think Malwarebytes or SUPERAnti Spyware are suspect as you probably don't run them often enough to see what you are seeing.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I use CCleaner to remove temp. files and such. I will sometimes use the Registry cleaner but not often.

I haven't used Registry Mechanic yet since starting Shell and setting it to Automatic (since last night), and Shell is still enabled. So maybe it is Registry Mechanic. If so, how can I make it stop disabling it? I used to not have this problem so maybe some settings changed.