Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Graphic Card

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted on the Geeks to Go forums, but I come to you all today with a question.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me a link to a detailed guide that can walk me through the steps of SAFELYoverclocking my graphics card.

I have:

Nvidia GTX 570

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121432

Thank you in advance!

- Basmastersix

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi again.

I don't over-clock so can not give you instructions but this Google search got some good results.
I would stick to articles from well known sites and be aware that over-clocking or using an after-market cooler will void the warranty.

https://www.google.c...mages&tbs=qdr:y

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=937

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

be aware that over-clocking or using an after-market cooler will void the warranty.

That applies to CPUs made by Intel and AMD. You will need to research nVIDIA (the GPU maker) and/or ASUS (the card maker) warranty documentation to see how aftermarket GPU coolers and overclocking the card affects the warranty terms for this particular graphics card.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank's Digerati.

Had come across this http://nvidia.custhe... void warranty and similar this week. will in future use, may void
the warranty.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for that. I wish they were more specific however than saying,

These are guidelines only - any overclocking/overvoltaging can void your manufacturer's product warranty.

"Can" void is not the same as "will" void and leaves users still wondering. :(

The AMD CPU Warranty is quite clear when it comes to aftermarket coolers:

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

As for overclocking, they are less clear, but can still get you with this clause,

This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey all,

I guess I should have put what you guys have mentioned into my original thread.

I know full well that when I decide to overclock the GPU, that, by doing so, I WILL void the manufacturers (Asus) warranty. And I know the full risks involved with overclocking the GPU (I could ruin it, if I do it incorrectly).

With that, do any of you know if there is a guide posted somewhere on these forums that someone in the past has constructed for others to use.

And in response to iammykyl, thank you for your suggestions!

I have done many "google" searches myself as well, however, I truly want to stick to well known sites. Such as the Nvidia forums (of which I have not found one yet), GeeksToGo forums or even TomsHardware.

- Basmastersix

P.S. According to Newegg (if you click the link in my first post) this specific GPU has the ability to use Asus's:

- Voltage Tweak: Exclusive ASUS Voltage Tweak technology makes it easy for you to increase voltages to the GPU core, video memory and board to raise card speeds by up to 50% faster - a major advantage much sought after by hardcore gamers.

And I have that program installed on my machine, however, I have not been able to find a guide on how to properly use it. (And every time I try to do a "live chat" with an Asus technician via their website, I can never get connected with one... I just sit waiting "To be connected" for ever... Then I just exit out.. and say screw it lol).

Edited by Basmastersix, 06 January 2012 - 11:25 AM.