Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage goes to 100% and will not stop?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

doggone3

doggone3

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello Geeks to Go, Bless You. I have a five year old HP with 3400 amd 64, 1.0 ram, 200 hard drive and mainly while watching hulu, or youtube, the picture will freeze and the hard drive will whirr. In 30 seconds it will go from full screen to small after keying escape, one minute or so after trying to close it will go to desktop with the audio still on. I check task manager and it shows nothing running but the CPU is 100% and will not stop whirring. nothing will work. After keying restart and waiting the end now box comes up for three or four programs, I let them end themselves, after another wait it shows the sign in screen and stops whirring. I had a similar problem 4 months ago, ya'll suggested CCleaner and it worked great. Since then my girlfriend installed a couple of poker sites, would sign up for multiple tournaments and wait on them to start while watching hulu. That's when the latest problems started, I have since removed the poker programs and when I run CCleaner it does'nt help. After restart it is slow, real slow. I use google chrome and ATT homepage, the news clips on ATT will cause it to lock up and Control, Alt, Delete does not work. I have to restart everytime. Help!! New Girlfriend? thanks yellowdog.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi -
Plese visit this site and check your internet speed and report back
Speedtest.net -
This is not a link, but just type it in your search box for your local test site, and point the mouse near your area and click to start the test.

We are hoping for a result greater than 10 or 15 in the Download response area first.

Thank you -

doggone3

doggone3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for answering mate. Have you got a look at Niburu yet? You'll have to tell us when to duck. My download speed was 5.72 mbs, ping 42, and upload .23. I am computer dumb so I don't know what that means Mr. or Mrs. NOKNOJON. I forgot to tell you that when the screen freezes sometimes the box says shockwave player unresponsive or has crashed. Then, something like "do you want to stop it" or "do you want to kill these pages." How should I answer. Thank you very much for your help, from so far away. yellowdog

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

along with the pole shift which may occur on Sept 26th,2011 during an alignment with earth and the sun.

Nope, I missed the Planet / Comet (the size of Jupiter) and it missed Australia -
I live on the coast and nothing has gone down (or up) yet -

>>""My download speed was 5.72 mbs, ping 42<< = Lower than average results !!! One of your main problems -
My speed is considered "reasonable" to slow at 14 Mbps D/load , .7 U/load and Ping at 26ms with a new Modem and on a good plan.

I only use Internet Explorer 8 with Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus and Windows Firewall. Google Chrome is not faster.
Combined with these I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware to clean out other infections (both Free).
Do you know what Antivirus and other security programs are installed on your computer ??

I would say that your internet connection is slow, or if your modem is older than 3 years have it replaced with a good new one.
Then check your Antivirus for updates, install the other 2 programs I listed, update them and scan for infections.
If they find many, please Read then post in the Malware Removal area with a link to this post so they can see your basic problems.

You can ask ATT to check your internet connection, or see if they can help you to speed up the connection.

Also your small RAM is not much, and may be able to be increased (RAM sticks are cheap) -

Good luck with those ideas. Post back after you make a few changes and we will see if there is any change -

doggone3

doggone3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks very much for your time and suggestions. I will run the free stuff and post how it comes out. I've got norton for two more months. Once again thanks. ricky

doggone3

doggone3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey noknojon, sorry about the editing and grammar. I downloaded the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran it. I had to leave, when I returned it had Scan Complete and the way I read it I was supposed to remove items on list. So that's what I clicked. I believe I was wrong because now the computer is really messed up. Google chrome does'nt work so I went back to Internet Explorer. The list is long, I have the file name but no idea how to move it. I could use some more guidance and suggestions. thank you, ricky

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
OK mate -
Can you attach the MBAM scan log please.
This may show a few items for us to see.

Thanks -

doggone3

doggone3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How do I attach this file? Where do I type C:\ Doc...etc. I can't seem to type in the Grey shaded area below where it says attach this file? yellowdog

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Open MBAM > Select the log (logs at top) > Copy / Paste it to Notepad > Save as MBAM Log and type All files > Save to Documents >
Click Add Reply (not Quick Reply) > Click on "Click to Attach Files > Open Documents > Click on MBAM Log > On the Right side click Add to Post, and it should attach to your reply as "attachment=xxxxxxxMBAM log"
Sounds like a lot of information, but after you do it once it takes 10 seconds to do it again -

Thanks -

doggone3

doggone3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
noknojon, I finally got the logs to attach. I have'nt gotten a reply from the Malware Removal section, I hope you can help. Thanks Doggone3

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Continued here: http://www.geekstogo...-nothing-works/

Topic closed.