Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen -crashing often

• Please log in to reply

pf91

pf91

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
In April 2011, I got a Gateway laptop, which I have had trouble with since day 1. The next day, it “crashed” with the blue screen and the error message that Windows had shut down to avoid damage. It has been doing that ever since and I have a list of all the mini dump files that it leaves after that. This problem occurs without warning.
In November, I needed to run factory restore from what their hidden partition. The restore function was somehow corrupt and it would not run completely, while causing my computer not to start. This meant I had to call Tech support, which was very difficult due to a language problem. They said I had to buy recovery disks, which I did, and I eventually reformatted the drive and restored it to factory state.
I thought that would take care of the blue screen crashing problem, but NO it didn’t. One of the first things it did was crash and display the blue screen. My question is :

Is this a hardware problem? It happened when brand new, after being restored to factory state, and everywhere in between.
This computer still has a warranty and if it is hardware, they will fix it. I still have the mini dump files that it leaves. Thank you for any help.

Gateway NV53A
AMD Phenom II N660 Dual core -3 Ghz
Memory – 3GB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Return it. It should never, ever have had a BSOD when new and if it continues to do so after using the Recovery Discs you purchased then it is defective. Get it fixed or replaced now while the warranty is still valid.

pf91

pf91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea what parts may be bad, so I can tell them what I definitely want fixed. Their response to the BSOD was for me to run recovery, which I originally tried to do from the hidden partition.(which didn't work) There is also a language problem, with Tech Support, making it hard to diagnose anything over the phone because we cannot understand each other. I cannot take it back because I have had it for 9 months, but it has a factory warranty of 12 months and an extended warranty for another 12 months with Square Trade.
If I had known the seriousness of getting BSOD the 2nd day I had it, I would have returned it to the store, but now I have to go through warranty service. Thank you again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm sorry but I don't know what parts are defective. The right thing for them to do would be to give you a new computer. That's what I would push for.