Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre sound/hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

MeiNaam

MeiNaam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was copying some files to my brand new external hard drive and watching YouTube when I noticed that the sound was stuttering and the video seemed to be skipping slightly just enough to be annoying. :angry: I thought that it was probably a bad upload or the combination of backing up files and streaming video was causing a momentary problem. Until, I was watching a video I had on my hard drive and got the same stuttering sound. I tried listening to music off the hard drive got the same problem. First I thought it was the speakers but the sound was the same over headphones. :blink: The sound is a sort of a combination of an old record being played and the sound you get if you are watching something or playing something on the computer and it freezes, but only for a fraction of a second. The stuttering/scratchiness happened in 2-15 second intervals. Sometimes it would be really bad but after playing for 3-4 minutes it improved but didn't stop. I thought it might be that my hard drive was too full, 581 GB capacity with 85 GB free. So I deleted/transferred a bunch of stuff (now 159 GB free). I restarted my laptop, ran CHKDSK, ran disk defrag, ran Microsoft Security Essentials and checked for errors. :bashhead: Nothing has stopped the problem and it's driving me crazy :wacko: ! Please help! :help:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking: Advanced startup options - Windows 7

If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

This is a good tutorial on using msconfig: How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Note: You will get a message on reboot about using the System Configuration Utility.
See here for how to prevent it from displaying in the future: How do I get rid of this msconfig startup error after making changes?

MeiNaam

MeiNaam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much!!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Were you able to identify the cause of the problem? If so, what was it? Might be useful to someone else another time.

MeiNaam

MeiNaam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Memeo Dashboard, it comes automatically with Seagate External Hard Drives as the software. :unsure: I'm not sure exactly what to do with it since I sort of need it to control the auto sleep cycle of the hard drive. :bashhead: I purposely didn't install the other Memeo software that is recommended (by Memeo and Seagate) because I looked around at reviews of other users who said that the software didn't work properly and caused other problems. I suppose I could set the sleep cycle to never and just unplug when I don't need the drive. Is it possible to leave it permanently disabled in msconfig until I need it? Would that cause problems? :headscratch:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can leave it disabled permanently and start it from Start / All Programs I would think or by placing a link to the executable for Memeo Dashboard on your desktop.

Also check the Seagate web site and see if there is an updated for the Memeo software.