Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

smithfraud on WinME

• Please log in to reply

killviruswriters

killviruswriters

• Pip
  • 1 posts
got a Smithfraud infection. read through the forums and competed the cleaning tasks. Seems to be similar tasks across OS's and infections. However, after running hijackthis (which is in the middle of the series of steps), the registry entry for Internet Explorer, Start Page won't clear from www.specialgoods.info. And when I try to manually change the registry entry (regedit), the instant I change or remove the key, an new one appears or rewrites the existing key. (wonder how they do that.... sneaky f*****s). suggestions? I'm also wondering what the red circle with the x icon is in my systray. Looks like the same icon used with killbox, but it was there before I installed killbox, there is no tool tip, and when I click or right-click, a browser window spawns and then hangs. I've made a system backup (which I realize is infected), but am considering running my system restore disk to blow away the registry, then piece the few applications back to the clean system. Not sure if that will clean this infection. I can post the hijackthis log if that helps, but I'm mostly confounded by the registry change. 'preciate the help.

Advertisements