Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop spacebar issues- do I need a new keyboard?

• Please log in to reply

roisinb

roisinb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB1E0E laptop with the chiclet keyboard. It is about 18 months old and I haven't had any problems with it until now. It was getting quite hot so I took the back off it and blew out the dust clogging the fan and heat sink with compressed air. This fixed the heat problem but afterwards I started to notice that the space bar was suddenly very sensitive. I don't think this was true before as I would probably have noticed. It is so sensitive that just stroking it, or knocking it whilst pressing keys nearby is enough for it to fill my work with unwanted spaces. Someone suggested that I take the keyboard off and check that the connection between the keyboard and motherboard was still in place, so I did that but it was secure so that hasn't made any difference. I took the key off and had a look at the spring system they use on these chiclet keyboards. Directly pressing the button under the key places spaces in as it should do and is not overly sensitive. I then carefully replaced all the spring bits and tested it out by pressing different bits of the key. I have now stuck in some small bits of paper underneath some of the springs which seems to have improved the problem significantly but it is not completely solved and is still too sensitive (just not as often). There are no sensitivity issues with any of the other keys.

So given this information, is it simply a case that my keyboard needs replacing or do you think it is something more serious? My thought was just the keyboard because if directly pressing the space bar button under the key works fine then it can't be a motherboard issue can it?

Thank you for your help!

P.S. Changing key repeat rate settings doesn't make any difference either, it is definitely a hardware complaint.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hi roisinb and :welcome:

It sounds like the return springs on that key are weak. You could try connecting an external keyboard to a spare USB port and see if that gives you any problems. If not, then you can be 99% certain it is the notebook's keyboard. You didn't by chance buy an extended warranty for this? I generally don't like or get extended warranties, but with notebooks, it seems they often pay off.

roisinb

roisinb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I did connect up an external keyboard and had no issues with that so I think it is new keyboard time. I didn't get any of those extended warranties but according to the internet I can get a new keyboard for £35 so not too pricey!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan. Good luck and keep us posted.