Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SECURİTY ACCOUNTS MANAGER (SAM)

• Please log in to reply

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
W XP HOME SP3
HP LAPTOP

Hi All,

The Security Accounts Manager (SAM) needs to be in working order,for the use of the Recovery Console in case of need.

My question is this:How can it be checked whether or not it is working properly?

My Registry Editor shows it as 'DEFAULT REG_SZ VALUE NOT SET

What Value should it be set at?

And how should that be done?

Step by step instruction is needed,to avoid any disaster.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If SAM isn't working (the registry database file is corrupted in some way) then you would not be able to boot XP.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi and thanks for your reply Ztruker,

İ'm sorry at first i misunderstood what you said.

İ don't necessarily think that it isn't working,i'm simply asking the questions as above.

Thanks

Edited by mysoul, 08 January 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Yes, I understood that. I was trying to answer your question. If SAM is messed up you do not have a working computer, so if it's working then that means SAM is okay.

Not sure what it has to do with Recovery Console though? Are you talking about installing the Recovery Console on your hard drive so it's available when needed? If so, and for some reason it doesn't work you can boot a XP installation CD to get to the Recovery Console.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi again Ztruker,

My laptop is fully functional,at least i don't have any error messages or the like.

However the situation is this: A few days ago i downloaded COMPO FİX and the appropriate files from Microsoft

and COMBO FİX installed the Recovery Console as a boot option.

Download and install went fine,

however when i tried to check it it would NOT work.

When i tried to type in 'Enter' my laptop started swirling furiously and everything would freeze momentarily.

Then when i could finally type,there was simply NO Response.

İ tried this several times,same result each time.

İt was obviously not going to work.
So i deleted it.

So knowing that SAM needs to be in working order for the Recovery Console to function,

i wrote the above post thinking that perhaps the Registry Editor needs to be set at a certain value?

So what do you think? İ could try again with the downloads you offered,

i'm just afraid of damaging my system this time

Can you perhaps tell me what your Registry Editor says re:SAM?

Thank you very much for your effort.

Edited by mysoul, 09 January 2012 - 06:59 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
My first question is, why were you installing Combo Fix? Without direction it can be a dangerous program to mess with. Did you get it here: Combo Fix and did you read the warnings right at the top?

I see it says it supports XP, Vista and Win 7 but when it installs the Recovery Console, that is almost certainly a XP version which I don't think is compatible with Windows Vista or 7. I think that is why it doesn't work, but that's just a guess on my part. I'll see if I can get one of our Malware folks to respond on this for you.

There really is nothing I can look at via regedit. If you look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM all you see is a Default and (value not set). See here for some good info on the registry. It says it applies up through Vista but it's also valid for Windows 7: Windows registry information for advanced users

Hang on a bit and I'll see who I can find to help.

Edit: strikeout invalid info :blush:

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
'My first question is, why were you installing Combo Fix? Without direction it can be a dangerous program to mess with. Did you get it here: Combo Fix and did you read the warnings right at the top?'

Downloaded and read instructions( of course ) from AUMHA but read instructions on how to delete from your system here.

'I see it says it supports XP, Vista and Win 7 but when it installs the Recovery Console, that is almost certainly a XP version which I don't think is compatible with Windows Vista or 7. I think that is why it doesn't work, but that's just a guess on my part. I'll see if I can get one of our Malware folks to respond on this for you'.

But my OS İS W XP SP3

Thanks for your effort again
i'm about to GİVE UP on this thing

By the way i downloaded and burned the İSO file,and have found out

that the i386 folder while on my system does NOT contain the winnt32.exe.

So this is probably the reason ,the disc would NOT run when i put it on my DVD-RAM drive.

Regards

Edited by mysoul, 09 January 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry about that, working too many threads at one time and I got confused :blush:

The Recovery Console will still boot from a CD. It does not need winnt32.exe for that. It's only needed when you want to install the RC on your computer.

Don't go away yet. Please wait a bit, let's see what the malware folks say.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
'
Hi again,

'The Recovery Console will still boot from a CD. It does not need winnt32.exe for that. It's only needed when you want to install the RC on your computer.'

Well that's why i could NOT install or rather install a working RC on my laptop.Right?

Because the winnt32.exe is needed for that.

That's what i've been tryıng to figure out,why i couldn't get the RC to work from the boot menu.

When you say that the 'Recovery Console will still boot from a CD(namely the İSO burned on the CD)

What exactly does that mean?

Can you be specific please?

What good does the İSO burned on the CD do me,if i can't have the Recovery Console as a boot optıon?

Please specify!

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Read here: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users - read the Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM part.

Also see the section Available commands within Windows Recovery Console near the bottom.

There is no benefit to your having the Recovery Console as a boot option other than convenience, since anything you can do there you can also do by booting it from a CD.

I don't know why the RC that Combo Fix installed did not work, it should have.

Advertisements

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi again Ztruker,

İ'm very grateful for all the effort you have put into helping me.

İ will read on the links you provided,

Thanks again,much appreciated.

Regards

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I'm still hoping one of the malware folks will stop by to offer their opinion.

In any case, post back if there are any more questions.

Good luck

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I chatted with one of our malware guru's and there really isn't anything they could offer.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

I chatted with one of our malware guru's and there really isn't anything they could offer.

Hi again Ztruker,

İ didn't think there would be anything they could do.

İ now have the Windows Recovery Console on CD,

( thanks to you )and that's enough.

İ wish to thank you again for all your effort,you've been great.

Regards

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You're welcome.

If you get bored :whistling: xp recovery console on flash drive