Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intel core i7 over heat

• Please log in to reply

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi i just buyed intel core i7 960 cpu and sabertooth x58 motherboard
and cooler master 650w bronze. problem is cpu temperature it between 76 to 100c
why cant i get it down to like 60,50c
plz help

Edited by mikaoj60, 08 January 2012 - 06:20 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: mikaoj60
There are a couple of possibilities 1: was TIM (thermal interface material) applied correctly, see the tutorial courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ 2: has the heatsink and fan been fitted correctly 3: is the cooling system in the case adequate (intake and extraction fans) 4: is the power supply functioning correctly.
Post back telling us a bit more about you PC to give us a better idea of what to suggest.

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i think the tim and heatsink and fan is correctly installed.
on the side of my computer is a cooling fan extreme. i got a GeForce 9600 GT 500mb
2 GB ddr3 ram.
but i dont no how the bios settings is :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of things for you to do for us so that we can check your temps and voltages, see below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Then download and run HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html and again provide a screenshot;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it just black out

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

it just black out

Please explain what you were attempting to do, the more information you provide the better.

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i started my pc for download and install the program and then it just blacked out it was at 100c.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This suggests that either there is inadequate TIM applied or the CPU fan and heatsink may be fitted incorrectly.
Did you read the tutorial http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ and can you confirm that you applied TIM correctly.
At this time I suggest that you do a barebones set-up outside of the case and start afresh, do you know how to do this?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you sure the CPU fan is even spinning? If the fan is spinning, and you applied TIM (or used the factory applied pad), then it sounds like to me the heatsink is not properly mounted.

Just a though, most factory applied TIM pads have a plastic protective cover to protect the pad from being scratched during shipping and handling. Did you peel that off?

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no i dont no how to barebones set-up :(

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

no i dont no how to barebones set-up

I don't know what you mean there.

Are you saying the CPU and the CPU's heatsink fan assembly were already mounted on the motherboard when you got it? If so, the heatsink may have been knocked loose during transport.

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no i put it on by ma self. but the cpu fan is a lilte los

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i bougth everything seperatly and assembled by myself.

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
noob.jpg

mikaoj60

mikaoj60

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
now it mystic work at 57c :o