Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player crashing

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I don't use my WMP much, however I won a music CD and when I tried to play it, it plays about 20 minutes, then freezes. I tried another CD and the same thing happened - my whole system locks up and I have to pull the power plug to reboot, then I have to start the CD again. My WMP is version 9.0.0.4503 and my system is an HP Pavilion 750n with a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 768 MB RAM. Any ideas what's wrong?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 07 01 2012
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 07 01 2012
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Actually it was on Jan 5th the error occurred. Here is a snapshot of the event view.

Attached Thumbnails

• event.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to your screenshot the cdrom is the culprit. By chance do you have anything else to play files from the cdrom?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I have 2 CD slots on the tower. One is marked hp cd-writer and the other is dvd-rom which is what I used. No external players.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first try the other player and then if that still doesn't work what I originally meant is do you have another program besides WMP to play music?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Thanks for your advice about the CD ROM. I'm not sure what I have anymore since having my computer serviced a few months ago. The tech had to wipe the HD and re-install programs. All I know is is that the program I used to use for the CD stuff (Nero) was no longer there and they set the WMP to be the default program for this function.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did this problem start after they wiped the drive and reinstalled your OS?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Yes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then I believe the issue lays with the version of WMP. Since you have version 9 and WMP is now at version 12 you are a little behind. I suggest going either HERE and get the newest version or going to Microsoft's Window Update page and check for software updates which there should be one for WMP.
Then try your cd and see if it will work.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Thank you for the suggestions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 12 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I took my computer (at great inconvenience) back to the shop that built it since it was still under warranty. They fixed it. I asked what the problem was and the tech said something about a "registry problem". Thanks for trying to help, though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and the final resolution. A registry issue is a very vague explanation of the issue but if they managed to resolve it and you didn't lose anything in the process then everything worked out good. Congratulations for resolving your issue and thank you for allowing us to attempt to help. Please let us know if there is something else we can help you with. :thumbsup: