Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet again another signal problem...

• Please log in to reply

BluThunda

BluThunda

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
... says it all..

Im in need of help, basically I had this computer which I havent used in 6 months and ive decided to use it as a server ;). Today I turned it on to find Signal Error, tried it on another monitor - no signal. Ive tried removing all PCI cards, hdd and cables from mobo. Ive checked all the connections, there fine. There isnt any strange LED flashing going on either, ive tried 2 graphics cards. Ive tried different ram, ive tried new cmos, clearing cmos. Nothing, im bit stuck now ;) the mobo cant be [bleep]ed can it?!?!?! It hasnt been used but I have kept it safe and sound.... Wondering if you guys could help out, webhosting reward :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First of all, what is the make and model of the mobo??

Secondly, does it have on-board graphics?? If it does, your CMOS battery may have died and the settings defaulted back to using the on-board video card and, I bet you aren't using it!!

Murray

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not sure its a medion cybermaxx pc... its microstar I think MODEL 3964 And no it ant got onboard g.. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just did a search on the Microstar (MSI) website.. No such thing as a Model 3964

Are you sure you got it right??

Murray

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah I did, and all I could find on the mobo was microstar and 3964 nothign else. Its a 2001 mobo soo.... ?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
AGP or PCI video??

Murray

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
agp... ive tried 2 graphics cards both agp

Radeon 9200 256
Nvidia GF2 64

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a PCI card.. if the BIOS defaulted, then it would be looking for a PCI card..

Murray

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well I do yeah ill try it

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Tried cleaning ram, cpu, hs, agp slot, graphics card connectors and got all the dust out.. Still not working

Advertisements

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
bump...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Blu:

I asked one of the forum mods to come in and take a look.. Perhaps he has some advice that has passed me by!!

Murray

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks murray youve been a great help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Microstar makes a number of motherboards they sell straight to OEMS that are not available to the public....cybermax was, is, a large producer of low end machines and probably purchased a lot of these boards.

First, any BEEPS at start up? Is there an onboard or incase speaker connected to the mobo?

BluThunda

BluThunda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Nope no beeps, but speaker is planted on mobo you cannot d/c it. Also could the mobo be dead even if PCI cards still work?