Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GFX card updating

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
hello once again guys. im back to ask what gfx card and psu can u point me to that will run computer games on ultra settings. i got windows 7 service pack 1, its a HP p7-102, with a AMD athlon II X2 220 processor 2.80 GHz, 4g ram and 64 bit operating system. any questions about anything else needed to decide please let me know. budget is MAX $600 for both a psu (if needed) and the GFX card. and i prefer Newegg.com. you guys showed it to me before and i fell in love with that site :)

thanks in advanced

my last post you guys helped me with a while back :) love the computers game play now since i went with what u guys suggested. big thanks to phillpower2!

http://www.geekstogo...54#entry1966154

Edited by heartgrave, 09 January 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What you need to do is first decide on the graphics card you want. Then research the power requirements for your whole computer with this new card and select a suitable supply from a reputable maker to support the new demands. I recommend you start here, Toms Hardware - Best Graphics Cards for the Money, January 2012 and find the card you want. Then use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the calculator page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 10% and setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the recommended supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, as well as future hardware demands. Setting Capacitor Aging to 30% will provide an even nicer amount of headroom. And remember, the computer’s components will only draw what they need, not what the PSU is capable of delivering. And the PSU will only draw from the wall what the computer demands, plus another 15 - 20% due to PSU inefficiencies. Buying way too big hurts only the budget. Make sure you buy a supply from a reputable maker and that it is 80 PLUS certified.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
idk if u read my older post i linked but back then u guys actually gave me a card and psu that i should get... in other words i dont want to go and buy a gfx card that I myself think is better than whats currently in the system just to find out its a lower quality card... idk what any of the numbers mean in the gfx card name, the only thing i know is MSI #s like 5770 and so on... the higher that number the better. but idk currently what gfx card my computer has in it. and the only thing going into the computer will be the gfx card and the psu everything else is ok in my opinion... maybe a stronger processor but its not exactly my computer but my brothers so its his money and his decisions on what goes in it... im just better with computer then he it so he sends me for all his technical issues.

Edited by heartgrave, 09 January 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

the higher that number the better

That is not necessarily the case to don't rely on that. To see what graphics card you have now, run GPU-Z.

Also, please try to use proper English/word spellings - this forum is visited by many foreign language users and abbreviations like idk and gfx and u are hard to follow by some, and also by some of us old folks who are not into texting/leet lingo. Thanks.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
whats currently in my system: ATI Radeon 3000 gfx, GPU RS780L, DDR2 256 MB memory and 3.2GB bandwidth. i dont know what else you need.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't really make specific recommendations that's why I provided the Toms best graphics card link above. Most of the cards today have 1Gb of GDDR5 RAM and a faster GPU than that so it boils down to how much you want to spend.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
phillpower2 did it for me a while back :( i was hoping either him or someone else like him could do it again... thats why i cam back :( i have NO idea what im reading on toms and NO idea whats considered to be a better upgrade than what i got. budget is no more than $600 for BOTH PSU and GFX card.

Edited by heartgrave, 09 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
heartgrave, can you provide a link to the PC concerned, your OP states the PC is a HP p7-102 which when googled returns http://www.google.co...iw=1264&bih=716

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
i wanna say its a HP P7-1012 but im at work right now. im positive thats it. ill check it again when i get home in about 2 hours.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok I will look at the specs for the HP P7-1012 in the meantime.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
confirmed it is a p7-1012

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for confirming that :thumbsup:
There are more than one MB used in those systems including one called apricot which does not have a pci-e x16 slot for an add on card, can you run Speccy for us please and post your MB details please http://www.piriform.com/speccy

EDIT: See Apricot MB version http://bizsupport1.a...rodTypeId=12454

Edited by phillpower2, 10 January 2012 - 03:10 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X2 220 34 °C
Regor 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB7 (CPU 1) 36 °C
Graphics
HP 2310 (1920x1080@59Hz)
ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics (HP)
Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW TS-H653T SATA CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

now just the MB:

Motherboard
Manufacturer FOXCONN
Model 2AB7 (CPU 1)
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 780G
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 29 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 6.09
Date 05/04/2011
Voltage
+5V 5.082 V
CPU CORE 2.220 V
VIN3 1.656 V
VIN4 2.220 V
+3.3V 2.773 V
VIN6 2.220 V
VIN7 1.632 V
VIN8 1.608 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI-E x1
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI-E x1
Slot Number 1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You may want to do a physical check to confirm this but the Speccy results suggest the MB is the Apricot version I provided the link to earlier, it only has pci-e X1 slots and the video cards for those I believe are expensive and not very good.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
all that stuff i posted was from speccy u want me to go into the system and check?