Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GFX card updating

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Ok Hello again I am back. So nothing happened yet with the computer and my brother does not want to fork out alot of money... like $100 max... so can someone please tell me a good PCI-X1 card that we can get instead of changing the mobo and everything else along with it. maybe 2 PCI-X1 card since there is 2 slots in the mobo, being its the one listed above. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Bumping

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
heartgrave
I was hoping that someone who had used a pci-e x1 video card would pitch in but with no luck.
Please refer back to my post #21
Also as mentioned previously another alternative if you have the room available inside your case is to use an adapter like the one @ http://www.overclock...ad.php?t=695138

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
It is possible to put 2 in the machine right? would it require a different PSU if i did 2?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It is possible to put 2 in the machine right? would it require a different PSU if i did 2?

Sorry but this would serve no purpose :no: your MB is already capable of powering two screens by way of the DVI and VGA ports.
This type of set-up is referred to as Crossfire with AMD cards and Sli with Nvidea cards, for the power of two video cards to combine 1: The MB must support the function. 2: Both video cards must be compatible and capable. 3: A Crossfire or Sli bridge is required. 4: There must be enough room inside the case. 5: A more powerful PSU that has the required cables is required.

To summarise the HP P7-1012 is and was not intended to function as a gaming machine more as a home, office or school type use such as homework and record keeping etc and the only way to change this has been discussed earlier in the thread, new MB, CPU, Ram, video card and PSU which is almost a whole new PC with the exception of a HDD, optical drive and operating system.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You might consider PCI (not PCIe) cards.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Hey again... after much consideration.... I wanna see if u guys can tell me the PCI X1 equivalent of these: NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870. I prefer which ever one is better of course! I wish there was a way I can pay you guys for your help!?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The best options I can find at the moment http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500233 requires a minimum 300W PSU and http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161354 requires a 400W PSU.
Geforce 210 http://www.tigerdire...6001&CatId=1826

FWIW I would replace the present PSU even if no upgrades where being considered.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Sorry to ask you guys all these questions. This should be the last post about updating computers for quite a while! :P

I got this computer but its got a chipset GPU... Any way to upgrade one of these? Its an all in 1 computer... the monitor and tower are one unit! Theres a good image in the attachments.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron One 19A
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/01/10 00:06:13 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4060MB RAM
Page File: 2106MB used, 6013MB available
Card name: Intel® G41 Express Chipset
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E32&SUBSYS_04081028&REV_03
Display Memory: 1695 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1631 MB

Attached Thumbnails

• vostro-320.jpg

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
May look like I got alot of computers... In reality, this all in one is my dads. My brothers is the one that has the PCI eX1 slot. Mine, you helped me with along time ago that is just crankin right now still..., and my nephews is almost the same as mine so im getting him either the NVIDIA GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870. Not sure which is better tho.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Those all-in-ones are very much like notebooks - meaning they often use proprietary parts thus upgrade options are typically few, and typically expensive.

It is not likely you can upgrade the graphics solution unless that AIO has a PCIe expansion slot. Your best bet, since you have 64-bit Windows, is to up your RAM to 8Gb. This will give Windows, the CPU, and more importantly for your situation, your graphics solution more RAM to play in - and that should result in a noticeable improvement in over-all performance.

Also, I note it is generally possible to add RAM without having to upgrade your power supply. Adding a more powerful graphics solution often necessitates the need for a bigger PSU - and that may be an issue if that AIO uses an internal supply, or a power block (DC transformer) type supply.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
So my computer sits in an air conditioned room. I come home from work today and turn my computer on.... its been off almost 12 hours. (I never shut it down its usually on 24/7 and only gets shut down for updates) Then I get this real high pitched whistle sound coming from it.... my pitbull started freakin out over it. I let this go for about a total of 2 minutes before pulling the plug. When the computer starts it does the computer load up then when it gets to the screen where I log into windows, that screen doesn't even show and computer loses signal to the tv by going to the tv's built in screen saver. I usually leave my computer on 24/7 so I figured that was it. Last night I turned the computer off when I went to bed and it did not get turned on until a few minutes ago. I can not even touch this gfx card its so hot... after being on for 2 mins? The last few nights I been getting it... the very first night was last Friday, right in the middle of game play, screen flashed black like a fuse blew and my tv's built in screen saver turned on, telling me there was no signal going to the tv... so I take out and clean the gfx card and the inside of the computer. Put card back in good to go no issues...I dont know if the card was hot when this happened cuz I ran to my brother's computer and finished what I was doing before going into the computer. (Raiding in wow) Few days ago while playing diablo 3 it did something similar again this time without the fuse blowing look... took out gfx card this time and it was real hot... about 5 times now I have had to take out the card and let it sit before putting it back in... after the 2nd time I left the side panel off figured give it room to breathe.

Do you guys think I need a new card, HDD, or mobo?

Edit: I plug everything back in and this time I position the computer and my self in a way I can see the fans since there about a 2 inch clearence between it and the base of the case. Anyways only 1 of the 2 fans on the card were spinning and the other one was twitching like it wanted to move but couldnt. So I put my finger in there and make it spin and it started up and the other one stops and starts stuttering like the first one but didnt fully stop. itd spin sporadically. I have a MSI ATI RADEON HD R5770 Hawk Gfx card... the one Phil suggested to me a long time back.

2nd edit: So after turning it on I get back in and about 15 minutes later the screen goes black and high pitched whistle starts in again.

Edited by heartgrave, 29 May 2012 - 12:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi heartgrave

Please start a new topic and include all your system specs for us.
Reading through information in this thread that does not bare any relevance to the system with the issue is time consuming and confusing and may lead to something being overlooked, thank you for your understanding.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Alright looks like im wanting to get 2 of these http://shop.amd.com/...ry:Graphic Card

Is the one above in this post (#44) better than http://shop.amd.com/...ry:Graphic Card

Are the ones above in this post (#44) better than NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870

Would a PCI fit into a PCIeX16 slot and vice versa? They look the same to me?

So this is what im looking at for the PCIeX1 computer: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815158285 and http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102993 with the proper PSU of course but will that combo work?

Do you think there is a better, more faster Adapter available?

SOOO sorry for all the questions! Im getting this stuff for my brother and nephew and dont wanna get them crap ya know?

Edited by heartgrave, 08 June 2012 - 02:20 AM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Deleted by Heartgrave!

Edited by heartgrave, 08 June 2012 - 02:19 AM.