Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless internet connection is so so so slow

• Please log in to reply

roisinb

roisinb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I live in a shared house with shared internet between three people. I've never had any problems with the speed until about a week ago. Now it is running at snail's pace, trying to download anything I get ~15kbps up to a max of ~30kbps. I tried using speedtest.net (see attached pic) and that claims that my download speed is 9.92Mbps but when I actually try downloading files I get the 15kbps (this is downloading from different sites as well). My housemates don't have any problems with their internet speed so it is obviously just me and I didn't change anything before it started acting up.

I've been reading other peoples' issues with slow internet and have tried everything on this list http://www.squidoo.c...p-slow-internet to no avail. I also tried a recent wireless card driver suggested on another forum and when that didn't work, downloaded the originally installed wireless driver from the Sony website and tried that, again no difference. I have also tried multiple different browsers: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome.

So I'm stumped, what else can I try?

Details:
Laptop: Sony Vaio VPCEB1E0E
Wireless card: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 8.0.0.238

Attached Thumbnails

• internet speed 2147 090112.png

Edited by roisinb, 09 January 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 9.92 figure is your broadband speed, not the download speed.

Do you get 15kb/s download speed when it's only you on the internet, or is it only when everybody else is downloading?

roisinb

roisinb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
15kbps all the time, even when there was no-one else in the house over the weekend. I tried plugging into the router at home with an ethernet cable and still only got the 15kpbs speed. I took my laptop to uni today and logged onto the wireless network there, still getting low speeds, but when I plugged the ethernet cable into the uni network (so wired now) I quickly got more like 500kbps. Very confused! It such a shame there are download limits on the uni network or I'd be downloading so much stuff now on that wired connection.