Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Event ID 10020 (I know you've seen this before but this is differe

• Please log in to reply

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Greetings One and All,

I have a problem but first here is my background info.

PC - Mesh computers
Windows XP Home (legitimate licensed version)
Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 1GB Dual card.
Norton Internet Security 2007(out of subscription but only just finished that annoying reminder countdown thing at the same time as the problem occurred)
I have been reading through all the different postings regarding this error message on various different forums and following various bits of advice has not helped.

This is really long winded so please stay with me.

Just after Christmas my PC developed a problem, upon start up it would get to the windows splash screen and then go black and switch between a black screen and an off screen (which is also black if you see what I mean). It would stay there doing this and progress no further. I was able to load up in safe mode, with networking (giving me access to the net). I reviewed various online postings to see what the problem was, this led me to viewing the event log to see what error was recorded by the computer. It is as follows...
Type: Event ID 10020, Source: DCOM
Description: The machine wide default launch and activation security descriptor is invalid. It contains access control entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the component services administrative tool.

I load up the component services administrative tool and navigate to 'computer' in order to adjust the settings but when I click on 'computer' it force closes and disappears.

If I try to load up using the last known good configuration it does the same black screen thing as before, starting windows normally does not work either, I just get the same problem. I have managed to install the latest driver for my graphics card, but with no change to the problem.

So to summarise this is where I am...

Upon start-up I get to the windows splash screen and the screen goes black.
I can restart and load in safe mode or safe mode with networking (although networking (internet)doesn't work)
Starting up using the last known good configuration does not work.
I cannot use system restore in safe mode.
The Component Services Administrative Tool opens but force closes when I click on 'computer'
Help and support does not work either.

I hope someone can help, thanking you please.
Sal.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: Gonnabuyamac
Have you uninstalled Norton?
If not boot into safe mode with networking and uninstall it using the correct tool https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home and install Avast or MSE both are available free http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/
Post back when you have done this.

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for this, I did have my concerns about Norton Internet Security. I will try to follow your instructions however this may be tricky as I do not have internet access and my pc will not accept any usb keys in safe mode and it will not load up in any other mode. Would it be ok for me to try and un-install Norton in safemode using the windows add/remove program?

Many thanks,

Sal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
No I wouldn`t try uninstalling Norton until it can be done with the correct uninstaller.
What you are describing with the black screen is a common result of driver or PSU issues, I know you have reinstalled the video driver but did you uninstall the old drivers first and have you checked in Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X marks.

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again, I have now uninstalled all norton related products on my system using the norton uninstall tool. However I cannot install MSE due to the following error message...

The Security Essentials Installation Wizard is missing a filter manager roll up package needed to complete the installation. To continue installing Security Essentials you must first download the required package. (web-link, but my internet connection does not work, even in in safe mode with networking). Error code: 0x8004FF56.

I have checked device manager for red crosses or yellow exclamations and have the following...

Beneath Human Interface Device there are two instances of 'HID Non-user input data filter (KB 911895) that have a yellow exclamation. When I click properties is says...Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (code 37).

Beneath Other Devices there is one instance of 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus' that has a yellow exclamation. When I right click/properties it says...The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28).

I hope you are still able to assist in this matter,
Many thanks
Sal.

Also for further background info, windows XP says that due to major hardware changes I must register windows within 3 days.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi
Try a clean boot "how to" @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Guys, Thank for all your assistance however because windows detected too many 'major hardware changes' (ie none whatsoever) it has decided to give me 3 days to re-register my copy of windows (which is legitimate), of course this can only be done in normal windows mode and not safe mode. 3 days has now expired and my Pc wont even start in safe mode and to compound matters the built-in recovery function (F10) wont re-install windows because of error 1817 the disc is full, Factory.pqi does not exist. It then restarts and does not get me anywhere, good old windows.

Unless anyone knows of a way to fix this problem my only option is to re-install windows using a disc I don't have. I'm now tearing my hair out, thanks a bunch Microsoft, it was probably only a simple problem to begin with.

I appreciate your help guys.

Sal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Try a System Restore using the disk which you can burn by following the guidance below;

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop

Thanks to Artellos for the above :thumbsup:

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This sounds interestnig I will certainly give this a go....Many thanks,

Sal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok, let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ha ha, I'm afraid this did not work either, after booting from the disc the screen jst went blank with a flashing cursor at the top left corner, no activity in the CD drive.

However in spreading the word a friend of mine managed to get me a windows XP recovery disc which I tried and it seemded to be working; ie recovering windows. Unfortunately this did not work in the end either because of the windows status as being unregistered. The recovery disc will not recover an unregistered version of windows, it will give me the option of loading up in safe mode but will not allow me to log in. So now I need an original windows XP o/S disc....which they don't sell any more.

I don't suppose you have any ideas on what I can do now? Do microsoft help with this kind of thing? My serial number on top of my PC should still be valid.

Many thanks,

Sal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

after booting from the disc the screen jst went blank with a flashing cursor at the top left corner, no activity in the CD drive.

Please don`t think I am being pedantic but the latter part of the above suggests that your computer is failing to boot due to a damaged or corrupt OS, this can also occur if your HDD is failing, has bad sectors on it etc.

a friend of mine managed to get me a windows XP recovery disc which I tried and it seemded to be working; ie recovering windows.

Recovery disks are specific for different computers as in a HP recovery disk will not boot a Dell as the drivers are not the same.

I don't suppose you have any ideas on what I can do now? Do microsoft help with this kind of thing?

You can contact Microsoft and validate your Windows over the telephone, my advice however is dependant on whether your computer is W7 capable to upgrade to that, Xp is nearing the end of it`s support from MS so upgrading now is no real hardship but I suppose it depends on whether you want to invest the cash in the present PC.

Some reading for you http://books.google....y of xp&f=false

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, this is where I am with things....

I found an old windows XP OEM disc from my previous Fujitsu Siemens PC from about 2002 and tried it. Windows XP is now installed but not activated, (29 days remaining). So now its a completely different ball game. I have Windows XP media centre 2005 from Fujitsu Siemens on a MESH computers PC. But it seems to work fine so far.

Problem 1 - I need to activate Windows XP but cannot connect to the internet, after 1.5hrs of trying with the Sky Broadband help team I am still un-connected, (they are happy to keep charging me though). Given that my windows XP is already registered, trying to register on this different system with the same serial number may not work. So I could really use help with connecting to the internet, it seems simple enogh but proving a pain so far.

Original problem - Finally I have identified what the original problem was. After installing windows XP as discussed above I set about re-installing the sound card driver and graphics card driver. The sound card driver appears to be OK. But when i installed the graphics driver the PC restarted and I have the same original black flickering screen. So I immediately restated in safe mode and uninstalled the driver. this leaves me with a pretty pricey graphics card and no driver so the screen resolution is a bit blocky. I will contact Nvidia to enquire.

Can anybody advise on what might be wrong with the internet connection? I have loaded the command prompt and tried ipconfig and tried to send packets which did not work. I have looked at the LAN settings to attempt to repair a connection, The warning box that popped up said;

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed....Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection, cannot proceed."

Is there a way I can resolve this?

Many thanks,
Sal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Given that my windows XP is already registered, trying to register on this different system with the same serial number may not work.

You should have used the product key that was provided with the Mesh PC (If still available).

How are you trying to connect to the internet wireless or dial up?

Check the Network Adapter status in the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X present?

As per my post #12

You can contact Microsoft and validate your Windows over the telephone,

Gonnabuyamac

Gonnabuyamac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again,

Yes I will use the product key that came with my MESH pc I still have that on the sticker on my tower unit. I will try by phone to activate also.

I am trying to connect via broadband, it is connected via cable to the phone outlet on the wall. In the device manager the network adaptor is showing as enabled and working properly no yellow ! or red X present.

Any further thoughts?

Many thanks,
Sal.