Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD error

• Please log in to reply

manzella77

manzella77

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My system like the others is suggesting to come to the hp support tech site. My hard drive is not recognized.
computer states: Boot Device not found, please install operating system on your disk, hard disk (3FO). I do not have an external drive to connect to my computer. If i needed to can I connect straight from my desk top?

Model# HP Pavilion dm3 Notebook pc; Product Number: VM073UA#ABA; WIN 7; SYSTEM BOARD ID: 3656;PROCESSOR SPEED 1600MHz; PRODUCT CONFIGURATION ID: 039F100000240000110320000; PROCESSOR TYPE: AMD ATHLON™ NEO X2 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR L335;BIOS VERSION: F.0A; BIOS VENDOR INSYDE.

I posted this earlier today, but I think I may have posted to the wrong section. Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I closed the other topic so this should be the one you respond to now.
First is the Hard drive identified in the bios?
Second have you done any diagnostics prior to posting here?
Thirdly is there data that needs to hopefully be saved on the system in question?
Fourth please do the following and let me know the results.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

manzella77

manzella77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Q:First is the Hard drive identified in the bios?
A:Not that I can tell

Q:Second have you done any diagnostics prior to posting here?
A: All I have done was the system diagnostic for 1: Memory test(Came back PASS)2:Primary hard disk self test(came back Hard disk not exist)

Q:Thirdly is there data that needs to hopefully be saved on the system in question?
A: Yes, photos, school work, and various other important docs.

I am now going to complete the rest of your post and let you know the results.

Thank you for your help.

manzella77

manzella77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I forgot to add that I can hear a "scratching" noise when my computer does boot up, also it attempts restart 3 times befor it goes to the error message. Does this mean that my hard drive is dead, of so what should i replace it with?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds to me like the the reader is bouncing on the disk. This indicates a catastrophic failure.
That would mean the only way to get the data is to have it professionally done. This could cost hundreds if not thousands to do and there is no guarantee what they can save. :(
The next questions is how old is the system and is there any warranty left on it?

manzella77

manzella77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the following hard drive:

Bays: 1
Installed: 320GB, 7200rpm
Type: SATA

I did not see this in the vendor category on the link you sent me, is there an alternate name for this type of hard drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it is a laptop there should be a compartment on the bottom marked with Hard drive or Disk Drive
Remove the screw holding the compartment cover and you should be able to see the hard drive manufacturer.
You would be looking for something like Toshiba, Western Digital or Seagate.
If you can get the model number I can tell who the manufacturer is from that. :thumbsup:

manzella77

manzella77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you I will, and no, there is no more warranty.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also did you receive a set of restore disks or did you make a set when you got the system originally?
If not I would suggest contacting the manufacturer HP and see about purchasing a set of recovery disks from them. Should be about 30USD for the set at the most.
Without them you won't be able to install a OS short of purchasing a OEM OS disk somewhere which could cost you 100 to 200 for the one disk. They will not contain any drivers for your system where the recovery disks will. Being it is a Win7 system a lot of the drivers may be included with the OS but that doesn't mean they all will be.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.