Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezing up, video driver having problem?

• Please log in to reply

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this because I'm not entirely sure what's causing the problem but windows is the part locking up so it's the closest I can get

The problem:

Before Reinstall:

Recently over the christmas holidays I wiped my hard drive containing my windows 32-bit install in order to replace it with 64-bit which I'm now running.
The majority of my data on my computer is installed on a different hard drive to my windows install however and I didn't want to lose it (documents games etc) so that hard drive hasn't been wiped.

Not too long after I started having problems with windows where it would change itself from Aero view into windows basic view and then, often crash. I had two blue screens a few days apart and trying to figure out if it was a memory issue (I recently isntalled new RAM) or a driver issue as they seemed to be the main suggestions for it I could find. What seemed to happen would be firefox would freeze up and then I would be unable to open anything such as control panel, computer etc, from the start menu the computer would change to windows basic before it either unfroze or crashed.

After Reinstall:

After a lot of frustration I eventually gave up and decided to reinstall windows 7 again to see in case I had just messed something up with it. It seemed to be running ok again for the last couple of days since the reinstall but just today I had a crash where firefox again froze while running and then I noticed I couldn't open any computer folders from the start menu, the buttons would do nothing. However steam (the valve software program) kept working and I was able to select that and type in chat boxes to people etc. I tried opening task manager but nothing happened, tried opening ctrl alt del and nothing happened for a while then the screen went black apart form the mouse which I could still see and move.

I couldn't do anythign form here so I tried restarting and the computer restarted in a low resolution and was no longer able to swap to the correct resolution (giving only generic monitor option in display). My housemate suggested checking device drivers and the computer had listed a problem with the graphics card driver saying that it could be corrupt or having problems. I'm not sure if that's the only problem though because my housemate suggested looking on the nvidia website for a clean driver uninstaller program to use before restinalling drivers but I was unable to launch firefox or IE. steam had once again launched fine but trying to launch web browsers, the process would appear in task manager and then just stop itself. I tried shutting it down but the computer just hung on shutting down until eventually I had to turn it off myself by holding the power button.

I honestly have no idea what's causing this and I'm sorry for the long winded desciption, I just wanted to get down all the information I could in case it's helpful.
The only things I could think of relatign to a windows problem would be that I changed the default install drive through the regedit. I was told you had to change it in two locations for it to work on 64 bit windows which I did. I'm not sure if this could be causing the problem and I need to change it back or if it's a hardware fault? I would hope not hardware because my motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM and PSU are all only just about a year old. The new RAM I put in is obviously newer and my hard drives are the only thing older.

Any help would be really appreciated. I could really do without this stress during exam time here :(

Thankyou

Also I forgot to say, I have an asus m4a77t motherboard, nvidia GTX 460 768MB GPU, AMD Phen II X4 and 12 gig of DDR3 RAM

Edit- Just as an update: the computer just blue screened whilst in safe mode. This what windows recorded as the information about the error:
BCCode:	3b
  BCP1:	00000000C0000005
  BCP2:	FFFFF800020B9803
  BCP3:	FFFFF880068A9A20
  BCP4:	0000000000000000
  OS Version:	6_1_7601
  Service Pack:	1_0
  Product:	768_1

Edited by inferno_blaze, 09 January 2012 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements