Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

bluetooth malfunction

• Please log in to reply

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I use a hand-me-down Acer M1610, WIN XP, Avast 6, Malwarebytes, updated daily and no malware found for a long time.

Bluetooth used to work perfectly. Straight from the box - it was some time before I even noticed the icon on the task bar. Then one day Nokia PC Suite stopped working.

My mobile phone connects to my sister's mobile, both ways.
My computer will transfer files to my mobile but my phone won't transfer them to the computer. Error message says "connection failed" even though it's less than a metre away.
The mobile lists the computer as a paired device and the computer lists the mobile.
I've been through all the rigmarole for setting up and it's fine, but I didn't need to do that when I first used Bluetooth anyway.
When I go to Nokia PC Suite and click to connect a phone, I'm told there is no connection. A borrowed cable (correct one) didn't work either nor did a borrowed infra-red.

There's a fault on the computer? So I opened my piggy bank and got a new dongle, which didn't work. I took it to the store and they said it (the new one) was faulty. The replacement didn't work either. I put the original one back and found that I could transfer files one way (as I said earlier). Maybe the store has a bad batch of dongles? I'm not keen to get another from them yet.

I uninstalled Nokia PC Suite, using IOBit and clearing the registry, then re-installed. No result. I assume it contains the driver for Bluetooth?

Could it be my dongle (the old one) works one way only? If anyone there is ten times more geeky than me, I'd be so happy to get some help.

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Use a memory card to transfer the files

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Use a memory card to transfer the files

That does not solve the problem.

Could it be my dongle (the old one) works one way only?

You might try it on your sister's machine for that answer.

Have you tried connecting your dongle in a different USB port?

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for answers. My phone doesn't have a memory card compatible with my computer. We had no luck on my sister's computer either. The dongle has been put in three different USB ports, all of which work with a USB memory stick. We have just tried using a different computer, a different dongle and a different mobile (that is all together, so none of the first ones were used) and we got the same problem. Impossible? That's what I thought . . .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If the dongle does not work on your machine or your sister's machine, I would suspect the dongle.

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
We have already replaced the dongle and as I said, we were using two different dongles. In other words, we got the same failure, when there was no item in common. This test was made after my original post. Puzzled is not the word.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Okay, maybe I am confused now. With multiple dongles, multiple mobile devices, and multiple machines, then you have multiple problems.

If me, I would disconnect all dongles, uninstall the drivers, then reboot. Then, follow the directions to start from scratch.

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Multiple problems? How right you are . . . I thought I had done this but better if you give me details. One dongle was borrowed. It's my computer and phone I'm concerned with; there's no use for Bluetooth on the other. Drivers - that's the driver for Nokia PC Suite? That comes with the suite or separately? Driver for Bluetooth? That's included with WIN XP SP2? Please can you set me right with those points? I have one more idea; I suspect the shop where I bought the dongles may have a dud batch. So I'm going to pawn my jewellery and get another dongle of a different type from a different shop.
Thank you so much for your help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would hope you would not have to uninstall your phone software. I was referring to uninstall the Bluetooth drivers for that device.

Note you should be at SP3 for XP. SP2 is no longer supported.

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm asking if there is a separate Bluetooth software or whether it's included in SP2. I note what you say about SP3. Also, whether there are drivers for the phone included with Nokia PC Suite, and I don't remember downloaded any when I first (successfully) used Bluetooth with the phone. I'm not sure if I made this clear in my first post. I had no problems at all for a year or more - this one is new.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Bluetooth was first introduced into XP with SP2, so the generic Bluetooth drive should be there - but it could be corrupt.

This might provide some information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883259

zsazsa

zsazsa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you Digerati for all your help - that link looks useful. I'll try re-installing SP2 for starters.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Keep us posted.