Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring system

• Please log in to reply

spike350

spike350

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I was looking at a few other topics and couldn't find anything really useful... What I want to do is take everything off my hard-drive except for my OS. Yes, I know, I should try and fix stuff first. I don't really want to I've already started doing it manually and with the amount of junk I have on this computer it's going to take for ever! I have the around 3 things I want to save backed up elsewhere. I have no restore/OS install CD.

Advertisements

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
(I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try a factory restore which would put the system back to like it was when you first got it.

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Spike and :welcome:

I've already started doing it manually

If you are just deleting files or folders, that is probably not a good idea as many may not appear to be needed, but in fact, are.

The best solution is to go through Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall programs you installed that you no longer need. Running Windows' own Disk Cleanup will also clear out much of the clutter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
No, still not working. I was trying to fix it set it to boot from disk accidentally and then couldn't get it to run for a while :/. Anyways I tried I tried CTRL+F11 and a whole lotta other things and although I can get into settings, I can't figure out what to do to get it to reset itself. I went looking for my re-install disk and I found the "Drivers and Utilities" one. It won't open/run unless windows is open.

I was remembering back to when I used virtual machines and I know I somehow installed windows on that without a disk. Is there a way I can "download" windows and then use that to reinstall it on my computer?

Thanks for the continued help.

Edited by spike350, 04 February 2012 - 12:55 AM.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
2 steps forward, 20 back... I found my restore disk, ran it, formatted my hdd and reinstalled. Thought I fixed it. Apparently not... when I try to boot, I get a message (in windows boot manager) saying
"...
File: \Windows\system32\drivers\msahci.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt."
I have both my install disk and drivers disk but I can't figure out how to run the latter.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a feeling that no one is following this so I'm going to repost this topic.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this.

OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's not windows 7, it's vista

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...guide is here...
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I already reposed this topic here: http://www.geekstogo...77#entry2123277