Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Difficulty Reinstalling Windows XP!

• Please log in to reply

CPUHelpNeeded

CPUHelpNeeded

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is the full story nearly a month ago (mid December 2011) I got a virus called XP Security 2012 , I was able to remove XP Security 2012 with help of a youtube video about that virus, the video recommended an Avast scan after. So I ran an Avast Anti Virus boot scan to remove every trace of the virus then after that scan my internet no longer worked and all of my downloaded videos lagged and the sound on the videos sound like they crackled plus the computer took about 10-15 minutes to even boot up. Now I'm using a friend's laptop to seek assistance on tech forums. I bought a Windows XP Recovery disc online thinking a virus may still be on the computer so I'd might as well restore my computer to factory settings but this disc is not working for me either. I would get to the point of the disc where an option says "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, Press R." when I press R it says:

Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart this computer.
C:\>

I have been reading online it is supposed to say "1: C:\ WINDOWS" on the forth line instead of only "C:\>"

one site recommended to type FIXBOOT and click "y" then type FIXMBR and click "y". I did that now I cannot access anything at all on my computer not my personal account desktop or safemode desktop if I don't load the Recovery Console CD the black screen will say:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

:wacko: This has all turned into a big mess I can not get to anything because of NTLDR is missing and can not recover my console because it only says "C:\>" and not "1: C:\ WINDOWS"

(Computer type by the way is a Compaq Presario SR1750NX family bought it in like 2005 or 2006.)

Any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Delbrugge

Delbrugge

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
You should be able to press Esc on that screen where it asks you to repair a windows installation. Then continue to delete all partitions on your HDD (THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON YOUR PC) and then pick the NTFS(Quick) format.

CPUHelpNeeded

CPUHelpNeeded

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply.

nothing happens when I click esc at that screen only three options are shown.

ENTER to continue, R to Repair and F3 to quit

the screen looks similar to this
http://z.about.com/w...sole-Image.jpeg

but its windows xp home edition setup

and there seems to be nothing more I can do at the black repair screen it has "C:\>" instead of "1: C:\ WINDOWS"

Delbrugge

Delbrugge

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Have you tried hitting Enter?