Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Losing internet connection repeatedly

• Please log in to reply

cthorne

cthorne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running Windows XP on a laptop with a WiFi connection using a NetGear card to an ATT Residential Gateway.

This problem happened after installing latest copy of Ad-Aware Free. I have uninstalled it and restored to a point before the installation. I have scanned for malware and cleaned my registry. I have run an antivirus scan by Avast & found nothing.

I am losing internet connectivity. This can happen when the laptop is idle or when I'm using the browser. I have not identified any action that causes it. The loss of internet connectivity is for browsers and non-browser software. I am not losing connectivity to the router. After I lose connectivity, I can run ipconfig and the laptop has internet connectivity. Then, the cycle repeats. I have turned off the XP firewall, no effect. I did not knowingly install another firewall. I checked the XP firewall exceptions & found the expected ones for my browsers, etc.

I looked at discussions & info on a damaged soc2 for tcp/ip & it doesn't look like that is it.

What could be causing this & how do I recover?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by cthorne, 11 January 2012 - 12:04 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

1. May I ask how you

cleaned my registry

2. which ipconfig cmd please

After I lose connectivity, I can run ipconfig

3. I installed Ad-Aware free
http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php

was it this one please and which WAS and which NOW is your real time protection.
and did you uninstall using the programs own uninstaller. - eg. programs,Lavasoft - ad-adware - uninstall ad-adware.
(I have just noticed that you restored to a point before the installation of Ad-adware. - so for the time being you may ignore this point)

4. In view of the registry cleaning however it was done - go Device manager and see if there are any warnings on any devices. Clcik the View tab, click show Hidden Devices and check again please for warnings.

5. Run a full chkdsk on C drive that is a chkdsk /r on a cmd prompt window OR open My computer right click the HDD click Properties, click the Tools tab and click error checking, click check now and then click to check the second box - scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. THE first box file system errors should already be checked. So now with both boxes checked, cllck START and agree to run on restart and do so please.
Either way, at the cmd prompt or from the GUI (Graphical User Interface) it is a fkive stage check please do not interrupt it.

6. When that has completed run a system file check. That is Start, run and type sfc /scannow
That may ask for the XP CD insert it if required and if you have it.

cthorne

cthorne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies. First, I'll answer your questions...

At first, I thought I had to run ipconfig /renew, but it turns out that just running ipconfig without parms restored the connection

Last, I seem to have resolved my problem. I was trying to fix a problem on my laptop. However, the problem seems to have been in my router. I cycled power on the router (an ATT residential gateway) and the laptop has not lost connection since & it's been over a day. So, I hope it is solved.

Thanks, again. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you for posting the result.
I am pleased you got it working.
I have edited your post - not that you have done anything wrong whatsoever.

However GeekstoGo does not recommend the use of registry cleaners. On occasions they MAY work as intended. Unfortunately on MANY occasions they can result in problems, even to the extent of Windows failing to load.

The problem inherent in all of these cleaners is that the registry is so complicated and so detailed that NO ONE has yet produced such a program that is 100% reliable on ALL computers, 100% of the time.
IN my signature notes at the end of this post you will see an entry regarding registry cleaners with a link to the opinion of an acknowledged expert.

The other link you provided, may well have proved useful to you, but one of the more commonly required tests has a note of caution regarding its use on Vista and Windows 7, that use different protocol to the winsock settings used on XP. For this and a couple of other reasons, we would not wish it to be suggested carte blanche as a fix for connection problems, as the inexperienced user may proceed, without noticing such detail.

Nevertheless thank you for your interest and good luck with it.