Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C++/Allegro Game Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

DogJosha

DogJosha

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm taking a game programming class this semester. It involves making our own game using C++ and the Allegro library. My degree doesn't focus on game programming so this class is more about showing our programming skill and maybe a little creativity more than it is about creating a great game. I've taken the class when it was first created, but I did not put the time into the class that it deserved, and I picked a game idea that was going to be way too much work for a normal person to do in a single semester. Even though I lack experience, my ability to think through programming problems is far above normal. However, with ADD caused by sleep apnea, I just have days where I can't think about programming. This doesn't usually start to slow me down until about half way through a semester though.

So a question I have is what game types would you suggest for this class? If its overly complex I fear I might not complete the game, but it can not be overly simple (like pong). One idea I'm thinking about is a 2D platformer. It would start with just basic platforming. Then I would add in enemies. Then possibly the ability to shoot/jump on them. Then maybe even powerups depending on how much time I have.

Whatever type of game I make, it doesn't have to be a complete game with multiple levels. It just needs to be functional, and maybe have a main menu (I don't remember).

Advertisements

Ebsuru

Ebsuru

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Have a unique aspect in the game.

Platform games are almost always fun, try to add something unique, like villagers following the main character.

So imagine this. Your village has been burnt down. You lead a group of villagers to a new village, but you have to pass all the levels to get there. You fight the person who destroyed the village at the last level.

But here's the catch. You villagers follow you, if all of them die from NPC's, you restart at level 1.

Good luck with the game development, remember to see through it all the way to the end, don't doubt your ideas while half way through the development. Have fun!

-Ebsuru