Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop. Help would be greatly appre

• Please log in to reply

Dudeface

Dudeface

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello! First time poster! I was recommended this site by a member on the Steam forums, and I figured "Why not?"

So, I'm working on making my computer into something that's actually good for something besides Internet and Team Fortress 2.

Heres the computer in question. Completely unmodified from when I purchased it back in 2009.. And lo, here is my motherboard. As stated, completely unmodified.

As sugessted from a friend of mine, I purchased a Radeon HD 5670 video card and a Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU.

An inside shot of my computer and a probobly unnecessary size comparison of the three. Needless to say, the relative size between the three is a bit....troubling.

Where to go from here, if anywhere? And if I royally screwed up, well.....heh, any advice?

(Also, apologies if this is the wrong spot to put this.)

Edited by Dudeface, 10 January 2012 - 01:31 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Antec ain't gonna fit in there. I'll tell you that now. It's a bespoke/unique power supply.
Neither is that graphics card.

According to the HP documentation it's a standard size board and a standard size power connector so I think the only way you're going to be able to use all that is to put everything in a new standard size computer case.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

The Antec ain't gonna fit in there. I'll tell you that now. It's a bespoke/unique power supply.
Neither is that graphics card.

According to the HP documentation it's a standard size board and a standard size power connector so I think the only way you're going to be able to use all that is to put everything in a new standard size computer case.

Thanks for the reply!

I figured as much, nice to get some confirmation.

Can you reccomend any cases? What should i be looking for in a case?

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Found this one on Amazon, a certain "VSK-2000 Cost-Efficient Mid-Tower Case". Does this look alright?

Bear with me here, I don't know what makes a good case.

Edited by Dudeface, 13 January 2012 - 01:32 AM.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bumping, for great justice.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
With a good case comes great cooling and removable and washable dust filters http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066
For effective cooling you need good air induction but you then need to get rid of the warm and sometimes hot air so you also need an efficient exhaust fan system, more details on the Antec 300 case http://store.antec.c...45-45003-4.aspx

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

With a good case comes great cooling and removable and washable dust filters http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066
For effective cooling you need good air induction but you then need to get rid of the warm and sometimes hot air so you also need an efficient exhaust fan system, more details on the Antec 300 case http://store.antec.c...45-45003-4.aspx

That Antec 300 case doesn't look bad at all......

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Yes a very good case, it will accept the following size MBs: Mini-ITX, microATX, Standard ATX so no worries there as your microATX will fit.
You do have a problem with the PSU though as it is underpowered and will not support the new card or your system, see http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814129153 a PSU with a minimum 400W output is recommended by the manufacturer of the card and a PSU calculator that I used (assuming only 1 HDD fitted) recommends a minimum 430W output PSU, this however does not allow any headroom so consider at least a minimum 500W PSU with at least an 80% efficiency rating such as http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139027 $10 less expensive than an Antec equivalent before mail in rebate and $30 less expensive after mail in rebate.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So, if I used the power source I have with me currently (380W) in liu of a higher wattage PSU, what's the worst case scenario?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
1: It may not work at all (no display) 2: The worse case scenario is it may work but with reduced system performance, the card and other components will be deprived of the good, clean and stable power that they require which will stress them and lead to premature component/s failure, risk of fire and at the risk of appearing over dramatic person/s being injured or killed by electrocution or fire, watch the video and then tell us what you think!

Please note that Antec are a better quality product than the brand used for the testing in the video, the results however will be the same if you knowingly use the PSU outside of the manufacturers specifications.

Advertisements

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
20 watts makes a differance, I see! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

20 watts makes a differance, I see! :)

Yep, what did you think of the video, alarming or what?

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
[bleep] straight it was! :D

Well shoot, now Im sitting here with a worthless PSU......

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
If you havn`t used it can you swap it at the place of purchase.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Got it off of Amazon.

Its out of the box, but the plastic wrap is still around the PSU