Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop. Help would be greatly appre

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
If you still have the box see http://www.amazon.co...l?nodeId=901888

Advertisements

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alrighty, then, that oughta work.

Can you recommend a higher wattage PSU thats not too pricy?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The Corsair PSUs are less expensive at the moment http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139027

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alrighty then, update time.

After a much longer than necessary wait due to Amazon's BS international shipping methods, I finally got myself an Antec "Sonata Pro" case.

As one would expect, I'm much too scared to start hacking into my current case and moving parts about. So, could anyone lay out the steps for me, or offer any assistance?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Welcome back Dudeface

Check out the tutorial provided by Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Some very important things to remember;
1: Always disconnect the power from the wall socket before you start.
2: Take anti static precautions before handling components, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
3: If stand offs are to be used to mount the MB (motherboard) they should only be located where there is a corresponding screw hole in the MB, you will short out the MB and possibly other components otherwise.

Any problems along the way give us a shout, definitely let us know when you are up and running.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright, so I've finally gotten off my butt and actually managed to build the [bleep] thing. So, I get the PSU all hooked up, disc drive, hard drive, motherboard, and etc. Press the power button and......

nothing. Nada.

I have no idea what went wrong, which isnt surprising considering I know absolutely nothing about the inner machinations of computers. No doubt, I'm missing some painfully obvious step that even a half-blind iguana could see.

Included are two pictures I thought were relevent. If any more are needed, don't hesitate to ask.

Posted Image
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I note in your two pictures that 1: there is no heatsink and cooling fan mounted on the CPU and 2: that there seems to be cables that are not connected to anything and in contact with the MB which may short out your system.
I hope you have not applied any power to the system while in this condition.

As advised in post #20 please read carefully and follow the tutorial http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/208831-how-to-build-your-own-computer/
And you must also clean and prepare the heatsink and CPU fan correctly before applying thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5 http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I moved the cables out of the way before applying power.

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bumpity bump bump

Dudeface

Dudeface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bumping for great justice.

Also, I'll be taking the computer down to a friend of mine who works in IT, see what he thinks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Sorry for the delay - work gets in the way sometimes**

I moved the cables out of the way before applying power.

From my post #22

I note in your two pictures that 1: there is no heatsink and cooling fan mounted on the CPU

And

I hope you have not applied any power to the system while in this condition.

Was power applied?

Also, I'll be taking the computer down to a friend of mine who works in IT, see what he thinks.

Please let us know how you get on.

Bumpity bump bump

Bumping for great justice.

My previous last reply was posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 AM and your next reply was posted 22 April 2012 - 10:37 AM :whistling: