Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown Problems on 7, no virus detected

• Please log in to reply

Joshua Vanriet

Joshua Vanriet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been running my comp with the above setup for a little over 2 years now. (oops sorry the setup is apparently listed in my "profile" that I filled out upon joining the site) All has been fine with the exception of a few nasty little viruses that were removed.

I recently reinstalled the drivers for my Netgear WN311B RangeMax PCI wireless adapter to setup a bridge. I also ran Windows update and the MSI BIOS update.

After this I have run into the problem where my comp will boot into Windows, EXTREMELY SLOWLY (I am talking 3 + minutes to load Windows here, then another 2 mins + that it sits at the screen saying "Welcome" with the spinning orb), and once it FINALLY loads everything and Windows is available for use it will just shutdown. No BSOD, no restart, no errors, just a shutdown.

I have tried removing various hardware, changing the PCI ports, etc. That didn't help at all.

I have run a memtest from the Windows advanced start-up options with there being no errors reported during the test, however I could not see the final log file as the comp shutdown as soon as windows loaded following the test.

My comp will run day and night in SafeMode and has no problems (other than the fact it is in SafeMode of course).

I have run CCleaner to get rid of any registry conflicts, no help with problems.

I have run Spybot as well as AVG Free and they both report no problems.

I thought it was either a hardware issue, or a RAM issue, or even a PSU issue, however the ability to run multiple programs at once and "stress" the CPU/PSU under SafeMode leads me to believe otherwise. I am honestly and truly at a lose here.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Joshua Vanriet, 10 January 2012 - 02:41 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo.

1. Please see this
http://en.wikipedia....Wireless_bridge

and confirm you mean a bridge - ie the transmission of data without using a network protocol - as against a simple home (wireless) network of computers.

MSI BIOS update.

Unless there was a particular and definable requirement for a BIOS update, flashing the BIOS is NEVER a good idea.

I have run CCleaner to get rid of any registry conflicts, no help with problems.

CCleaner is an excellent program, but the registry aspect of it is to be avoided UNLESS you completely understand the implications of each key and?or value that is to be changed or disbaled/deleted and EVEN then it should never be run without backing up the exisiting registry first.

After this I have run into the problem where my comp will boot into Windows, EXTREMELY SLOWLY (I am talking 3 + minutes to load Windows here, then another 2 mins + that it sits at the screen saying "Welcome" with the spinning orb), and once it FINALLY loads everything and Windows is available for use it will just shutdown. No BSOD, no restart, no errors, just a shutdown

Please confirm again that there were NO PROBLEMS of any sort before the installation of the Netgear card and driver.

5. If that is the case and you are loading SAFE MODE as against SAFE MODE with networking, then your first task is to take out the card. Uninstall the driver.
Reboot and see how it is then.

I appreciate you say you have tried removing various hardware

I have tried removing various hardware, changing the PCI ports, etc. That didn't help at all

MAY I PRESUME that this includes the Netgear card. as above.

6. You cannot have both the wireless card and the wired network devices ENABLED.
Have you covered this aspect.

7. Run a chkdsk /f on C drive using either the GUI in My Computer (Computer 0n 7) right click the hard drive click properties and proceed from there OR the cmd prompt on C:\> prompt as the cmd chkdsk /f

Run a system file check please
Open an elevated cmd prompt and on the C:\> prompt type
sfc /scannow

Please kindly post back with your reply and it would be of assistance if you would kindly number the points 1 to 8 as my post. (albeit 2 and 3 do not actually need a reply unless you so wish)
May I point out that there is NO need to quote the whole of my post in your reply.
Thank you.

NB I am offline until about 2230 hrs UK time it is now 1713hrs UK time

Joshua Vanriet

Joshua Vanriet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo.

1. Please see this
http://en.wikipedia....Wireless_bridge

and confirm you mean a bridge - ie the transmission of data without using a network protocol - as against a simple home (wireless) network of computers.

Yes that is what I meant as that is what I wrote. I did not write wireless.

MSI BIOS update.

Unless there was a particular and definable requirement for a BIOS update, flashing the BIOS is NEVER a good idea.

Was recommended by MSI and was backed up and it's not my first rodeo with flashing a BIOS.

CCleaner is an excellent program, but the registry aspect of it is to be avoided UNLESS you completely understand the implications of each key and?or value that is to be changed or disbaled/deleted and EVEN then it should never be run without backing up the exisiting registry first.

yes everything has been backed up. Has not helped or hurt my problems however (at least not noticeably.)

After this I have run into the problem where my comp will boot into Windows, EXTREMELY SLOWLY (I am talking 3 + minutes to load Windows here, then another 2 mins + that it sits at the screen saying "Welcome" with the spinning orb), and once it FINALLY loads everything and Windows is available for use it will just shutdown. No BSOD, no restart, no errors, just a shutdown

Please confirm again that there were NO PROBLEMS of any sort before the installation of the Netgear card and driver.

I would however that information is not 100% accurate as there were numerous updates and installs that I mentioned above that occurred right about the same time. Also after checking my system it appears as though NVIDIA video card drivers were updated at that time as well.

5. If that is the case and you are loading SAFE MODE as against SAFE MODE with networking, then your first task is to take out the card. Uninstall the driver.
Reboot and see how it is then.

yes I mean both aspects of safemode with and without networking and with and without the network card/drivers. (have not tried ccommand prompt as the others work and are functioning. I consider command prompt to be lower level (for me at least)

I appreciate you say you have tried removing various hardware

I have tried removing various hardware, changing the PCI ports, etc. That didn't help at all

MAY I PRESUME that this includes the Netgear card. as above.

see above

6. You cannot have both the wireless card and the wired network devices ENABLED.
Have you covered this aspect.
How does that work? I have done it before and it seem to be working (network wise) on this computer.

7. Run a chkdsk /f on C drive using either the GUI in My Computer (Computer 0n 7) right click the hard drive click properties and proceed from there OR the cmd prompt on C:\> prompt as the cmd chkdsk /f

Run a system file check please
Open an elevated cmd prompt and on the C:\> prompt type
sfc /scannow

Please kindly post back with your reply and it wouldbe of assitance if you would kindly number the points 1 to 8 as my post. (albeit 2 and 3 do not actually need a reply unless you so wish)
May I point oput that there is NO need to quote the whole of my post in your reply.
Thank you.

NB I am offline until about 2230 hrs UK time it is now 1713hrs UK time

I will be completing the rest of this here in a little bit

Joshua Vanriet

Joshua Vanriet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
chkdsk failed to run: cannot perform while disk is being used.

attached below is the CBS.log file created from the scan:

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   689.83KB   129 downloads

Edited by Joshua Vanriet, 10 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Good Luck I will leave the issue with you or perhaps someone else may come in to help.

Joshua Vanriet

Joshua Vanriet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
???