Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD 5850 will not detect 3rd monitor

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I bought a DisplayPort adapter for my 5850 today, I have two VGA monitors connected via DVI-D adapters, and I read that I needed a DisplayPort for a third monitor.
I've tried rebooting, tried detecting via both Catalyst Control Center (the ATI software) and the default Windows 7 display options. Theres nothing wrong with the monitor, as it works on other computers.
The monitor I'm trying to get working is a VGA, but the DP is DVI-D, so I also bought a DVI-D>VGA adapter.
So the connection looks like this:
[DisplayPort > DVI-D] - [DVI-D > VGA] - [VGA > Monitor]
Kind of a mess, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work, those are just adapters. It would have been safer to buy a DVI cable, but none of my monitors accept DVI, only VGA.

I'm 100% certain that the monitor is fine, the DisplayPort is compatible with VGA (says so on the box) and my card can take 3 monitors, as it's designed for EYEfinity.

Advertisements

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The problem has been solved, I need an active DP, the one I bought was passive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting how it was done so that it may help others :thumbsup: