Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 32Bit- Frezing Solid Intermitently

• Please log in to reply

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok now this should take me awhile but I will gladly do it.

--

Placeholder for results.

Selective startup
Load System Services YES
Load startup items NO

Results in freeze if left alone.

Next I will try with both NO.
--

Edited by Voland, 23 January 2012 - 05:28 AM.

Advertisements

Voland

Voland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok.....

NOT COOL!

I tried doing a diagnostic startup and when I rebooted it said windows failed to start OS loader problems.
Thankfully the windows disk saved me by reverting back to a restore point. It was unable to repair whatever got messed up so it chose to revert me back which is fine.

I am not sure what I am up against but there is defiantly something wrong with my OS. whatever is wrong got seriously agitated by me Trying to do a diagnostic startup. So I am going to avoid trying to do that unless otherwise instructed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

To do this, follow these steps:
1.Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2.Type the following command sfc /scannow and then press ENTER:

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
1.Open an elevated command prompt.
2.Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.
3.Type sfcdetails.txt in Search programs and files and press Enter.

The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail

Post the CBS log with your next reply if necessary.

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey, its me Voland.

Had some issues logging in so I linked my FB with my account and then it finally let me log in.
I did as instructed and linked the file.

Attached Files

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Bump

I dont want this thread getting archived.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not sure where Phil is but SFC "fixed" a bunch of files so are you still having the same problem...
you say all the hardware is new...
what about the power supply...the reason I ask is you said this...

EVERYTHING is NEW in my computer, however the problem mentioned above started BEFORE I changed any hardware.

does it ever hang while your on the computer using it or just when you let it run by itself

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hey, its me Voland.

Had some issues logging in so I linked my FB with my account and then it finally let me log in.
I did as instructed and linked the file.

Bump

I dont want this thread getting archived.

Apologies Voland for some reason I missed your last reply :blush:

Thanks for pitching in happyrock :thumbsup:

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
IT hangs ONLY when I don't have anything running. I replaced the power supply recently in hopes it would fix the issue but it has not. I can run SFC all day and it will always have files fixed. I don't think it actually works to be honest.

It's the files that it does not fix that we were planning to replace or fix.

The hope is that this is an OS issue that can be fixed by replacing files or upgrading to 7.

Went to shut down last night and restart it stayed at "logging out" all night and I had to force shut it down. I am going to run SFC AGAIN.

In review

Memtest 16 or so passes with no errors
hitachi specific drive test basic and advanced No errors
No device related errors

This is starting to look alot like an OS error. Which is good news because I really do not have any money to be spending on more hardware.

SFC is always attempting to scavenge some files and failing to do so. Any files that SFC can not fix/scavenge need to be fixed somehow. If I can get a clean bill of health from SFC then I think it will be easier to diagnose the problem assuming the problem is now fixed by getting a clean bill of health from SFC.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 01 February 2012 - 05:40 AM.

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I just cannot shake the feeling that this is temperature related. I had EVE and other stuff running the other day and when I came back from class my room was cold and the computer was frozen. I feel like some cosmic deity is trolling me for its own amusement.

I am going to purchase a new hard drive soon and once again clone everything onto it from the current drive with acronis. The more I think about it my OS only started to show signs of corruption after I installed like 20 different language packs with windows update. IT was only after that event that windows update started failing to be able to instal any more critical updates. It was at that point in time when my OS gradually started to misbehave.

I think at this point in time we can say with certainty that the OS is corrupted or in some way damaged. What is not certain is if the damaged OS is the root cause of my hangs.

My computer never used to lag before now adays it will hang and everything will stop moving.. Then I will quickly look at the blue light on the front of the tower. And if its light up blue or blinking I let lose a sigh of relative because I know that means the problem has not occurred again and that some time soon everything will speed up again.

It's when that blue light stops entirely that I know I am experiencing the hang mentioned in the original post.

I am not sure if this helps but I attempted to run defrag even though it says my system is not in need of a defrag and it first took 13 seconds and then said my system did not need to be defraged. Like it was bugged or something and was not going through the motions it should. Then I clicked it again and it started defragging and it took all day and all night only to reach the point were it told me my system did not need to be defraged. So just like the issue with the startup options menus being buggy and ultimately causing a blue screen there is many anomalies that run rampant and unchecked.

There must be some windows endorsed/made software or program that is designed to check EVERYTHING in the OS for problems not just the core files. Something that can pinpoint the damaged area(s) of the OS and obtain working clean versions of those files from the disk or from windows servers. If such a thing exists we would be that much closer to fixing this problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Couple of things for you to do;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24786646

That was really cool.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Aaron
I apologise but I am offline shortly until Sat 11th Feb 7.00am due to work and other commitments.
When I am back online if I can still offer you support I will be more than happy to do so, I will look at your PCPitsop report now and offer some feedback, meanwhile if you wish I can ask a colleague to step in whilst I am away so please let me know so I can contact them accordingly :thumbsup:

NB: Speedfan results are also required please.

I note from your PCPitstop report that you have three very good system report software items, Belarc Advisor, Everest and Sandra Lite, my suggestion is that you stick with Everest as it is a tool that is used by many staff here.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
while phil is busy...
go here and use the Automatic Driver Detection
install the latest video card driver...

go here and get the drivers pcpitstop says you need...
I recommend you get them all just in case you need to reinstall a driver later down the road
(burn them all to a cd/dvd)
create a restore point first prior to each driver update/install
install each one separately with a couple of reboots in between each driver (checking for stability)

download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
also UNCHECK Old Prefetch data..
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS
when your done defrag your computer...
then go back to pcpitstop and rerun the tests

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks happyrock :thumbsup:

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
One problem with that is the Defrag utility that comes with my OS is not functioning correctly. Can you provide me with some alternate means of defraging my computer?

Also I have already run speedfan and checked my temps and voltages as well as in the bios. Everything checks out there. I have excellent cool temps.